You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The Crop tool is not reliable when wanting to do freehand crops

The Crop tool in Affinity feels a bit wonky in terms of controls. Only when you start using the Crop tool or reset it are you actually able to freehand crop your canvas, something which I rely on a lot. While I was finally able to figure out how to perform a freehand crop multiple times without exiting the Crop tool every time, it was still very confusing for a long time. When I did another crop action that freehand cropping stopped working altogether. Having to use the Reset button every time doesn't feel very intuitive. Here's a video comparison between Photoshop and Photo showing how Photoshop allows you to free hand crop using shift. I would recommend that Photo adds something similar like on alt since the modifier doesn't do anything.

P.S. The Crop tool in Affinity is missing an R click menu, which would be very useful to have.

The ability do do a "freehand" crop after pressing Reset is interesting; thanks for pointing it out. I was not aware of it.

I think you may really have a Feature Request, though, rather than a bug report. Or maybe the bug is somewhat different than you think. :)

From the Modes (which do not list "Freehand" as a cropping mode), and from the Help (which says to drag a corner node to resize the box) I think you've found what might be an undocumented cropping mode which only works after pressing Reset. One possible bug is that this mode should be documented. Another might be that it should have a Mode assigned so you can avoid pressing Reset (but equally, that might be a feature request).

Adding a right-click menu is definitely a feature request, not a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The ability do do a "freehand" crop after pressing Reset is interesting; thanks for pointing it out. I was not aware of it.

I think you may really have a Feature Request, though, rather than a bug report. Or maybe the bug is somewhat different than you think. :)

From the Modes (which do not list "Freehand" as a cropping mode), and from the Help (which says to drag a corner node to resize the box) I think you've found what might be an undocumented cropping mode which only works after pressing Reset. One possible bug is that this mode should be documented. Another might be that it should have a Mode assigned so you can avoid pressing Reset (but equally, that might be a feature request).

Adding a right-click menu is definitely a feature request, not a bug.

I know the P.S. is a feature request, but since it I was talking about the Crop tool already I didn't feel like making a new thread for just that small comment. :P

The reason I put it as a bug report was because the freehand crop feature felt very inconsistent with how the Crop tool normally behaves. It only works on your very first cropping action and if you use up that first action, the Crop tool stops you from doing it freehand style. It just feels so strange having to reset the tool every time just for doing this. Having a mouse shortcut would certainly make it more consistent and less confusing.

21 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

The reason I put it as a bug report was because the freehand crop feature felt very inconsistent with how the Crop tool normally behaves. It only works on your very first cropping action and if you use up that first action, the Crop tool stops you from doing it freehand style.

It only works for me after pressing Reset. When initially selecting the Crop Tool the only action that works for me is the documented one, dragging one of the crop box nodes.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1