You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean operation bug on circle + created triangle

JRS6

I guess I could just make a semi circle and rotate it but I was trying this combination and noticed the result wasn't what would be expected (unless I'm missing something?).

Triangle was created by deleting a point from a square that was converted to curves. The result is the same regardless of if the circle is an 'ellipse' or curves.

Operation work as intended when objects are in 'ellipse' and 'triangle' format. So it looks like it is something to do with the 'format' of these shapes?

There are still quite easy (and probably more intuitive to most people) solutions to get the desired result though.

affinity-designer-bug-26-03-20.jpg

• Staff

Hi JRS6,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's still a few bug/issues with some booleans operations (which were rewritten recently for v1.8). If you stumble upon more cases like this please attach the respective afdesign file for us to log and test against new code revisions. There's already a few improvements in the latest Affinity Designer Customer Beta which may have fixed these issues. Please check again it and let us know if they still fail there.

Yeah, the latest version (v.1.8.2.620) cleared up several of the boolean operations that were broken for me in earlier versions of 1.8 but just noticed this one today.
I've attached an afdesign file that breaks for me on the subtract operation. Intersect seems to work fine and this uses the shapes in triangle and ellipse format. Grouping and un-grouping shapes seems to reset something and the result from the operation sometimes fixes and sometimes doesn't.

affinity-designer-bug-26-03-20.afdesign

• Staff

I did reproduce this the first time (subtract operation issue only) when preparing a file to attach to the report but then i moved the original shapes and wasn't able to reproduce it again. Your attached file is failing for me as it is, however if i duplicate the shapes, move them to the right and try the subtract operation again it works fine (!). There's definitely something wrong going on here. I've added this file to the report. Thanks for your support.