You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know how to get this effect with Affinity?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, David. :)

Depending on your starting point, you may find that the ‘Posterize’ function is all you need. Please upload your original image if you would like more detailed help.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, Medical Officer Bones said:

It is drawn, either digitally or on paper (or a combination).

Agreed, that is what I think I'm seeing too, particularly when looking at the textured washes in the background and the purple shirt when combined with the thick outlines and the pencil-shading on the mask.

More specialized digital artwork programs such as Corel Painter have features that are much more suitable to a task like this than is a photo manipulation program such as Affinity Photo (tracing paper, surface textures, natural media brushes, etc.), but even then this would be much more of a manual effort rather than an automatic effect of some sort.

The "next best" thing might be a carefully tailored "comic book" type filter; there are a few in Filter Forge that might be able to give you something useful if you spend some time playing with it, but I don't think you will find something to match that "effect" quite exactly without putting in some manual effort.

You might get some success using this macro, which I've linked below. It is called "Graphic Novel Effect" and creates a treatment similar to the image you posted. As an example, I downloaded a photo (from Unsplash), desaturated it by 85%, and applied the Graphic Novel macro. I tweaked the settings a bit, but here's the result:

1275437006_GraphicNovel.jpg.18fafdc0afc9a5011311a8634cfbc6a4.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17