You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Character style impacts on bullet point

AP 1.8.2 on MacOS 10.14.5

When I apply a self-defined character style to the first word of a paragraph formatted with a bullet-type paragraph style, the bullet glyph changes.

Example: I use the default bullet 1 style (Helvetica Neue regular). I create a new paragraph style that changes (only) the font to "Helvetica Neue compressed bold". If I apply that style to the first word in a bullet paragraph, the bullet point itself seems to change to the new font.

410975453_Screenshot2020-03-26at11.24CET.png.98454a933d9a7d375aed9c040c0db703.png

Hi @Lutz Pietschker, if you go to the Bullets & Numbering section of your new style and change the bullet style to a different character style, or to a new one that you have created this should resolve the problem. I have attached a quick example of the flexibility, as far as I am aware it is normal for bullets to inherit the characteristics of the first word, however you can change this behaviour.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 10.51.42.png

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll check this workaround.

"…as far as I am aware it is normal for bullets to inherit the characteristics of the first word" … well, if so, I would consider this behaviour a typographical aberration; bullet style should be identical throughout a list and not dependant on the list content. I am aware that many layout programs make the same mistake, but with respect to the function of a list, I still consider it mistake. Please consider that "bullet 1" is a paragraph style, so it should be valid for the complete paragraph. On top if this I add a character style for 1 word; why should this change the style if something (i. e. the bullet) that is definitely not part of the word?

The developers have stated that this is intentional and not a bug. The bullet takes its formatting from the first character. The workaround is to do as Murfee has suggested and you have done, or you can insert a zero-width space as the first character.

Whether it should behave this way is a fair discussion. See this thread beginning at this post: