You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drawing Monitor suggestion for beginner

Hello, 

I'm no artist, a doodler who loved to draw 25 years ago and now as I hit my 40's and life has given me time to explore hobbies Ive been "drawn" back into art.

Over the last 6 to 8 months Ive started using an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil and have been enjoying it.

I recently saw the amazing sale on the Affinity products and after researching them discovered for the value how amazing they are compared to their competitors, so I jumped in!

I purchased the Designer and Photo packages for my new laptop and now am looking into a drawing monitor to incorporate into my use/learning using these products.

I've read Wacom is the best, but I cant see paying such high prices at my current level of skill. So currently I've been looking at the Huion or Xp-Pen 13.3. (basically in the $300-350 range is my goal price point)

I guess what I am looking to find help with is opinion on which brand/model would be best for me in terms of bang for your buck + quality. I'd hate to spend a couple hundred bucks on something that isnt very good.

Thank you all for your help and I look forward to being more part of this community.

Add: This is my current skill level with Procreate, still learning!

dead man.jpg

Have you considered getting the iPad versions of Designer & Photo? They are not as full-featured as the desktop apps but work very well with the Apple Pencil ... & currently are on sale for the absurdly low price of $10 each.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

46 minutes ago, SPMH said:

I have already pruchsed the Desktop versions of Photo and Designer

OK, but they will not work with an Apple Pencil while the iPad versions will. So $10-20 gets you a very inexpensive alternative to a graphics tablet that has to be attached to a computer to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@SPMH if you spend $20.00 for the two iPad apps, then you will have the superb qualities of the Apple pencil, plus you can seamlessly move your work to your laptop to use all the extra bells and whistles those versions provide.  I have both the Apple pencil and an XP Pen Deco 03 which does a very nice job.  But I am not an artist.  I just fiddle for fun.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I think Huion and XP-PEN are both of good drawing tablet.  You can consider them according your budget. I know a new drawing monitor Kamvas 13, which is designed for artists who have a limited budget.  I think Huion is so sweet to consider many artists would like to have a great drawing monitor but stopping at its price. Can you believe? Kamvas 13 is really an affordable price only $239. It comes with full lamination and an anti-glare screen to decrease parallax. And it also features 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity to emulate real strokes of drawing. The most important is that you will find this is the first one drawing monitor that can connect to the phone. You can take it everywhere. Besides, it offers three colors. I watched Jazza youtube channel , it is so interesting.😂

Edited by rain05

• Staff
2 hours ago, rain05 said:

I think Huion and XP-PEN are both of good the Wacom alternatives

Well you would do as you work for Huion.

2 hours ago, rain05 said:

I prefer to violet purple which is so beautiful and romantic.

and free to employees no doubt. We would prefer to recommendations that are more independently provided by customers, or more honestly presented as adverts by company representatives. I suggest you edit your post to make it clear you are the second, or be removed from these forums for breaching the guidelines on Prohibited Content

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi 

Difficult one to answer really..it's about personal preference..unless its all about price. I am still using an old Wacom 4...even this is pricey to buy new
However:
I did notice there is a budget Wacom One recently released! for a similar price to the ones you are suggesting above.
Also have a look at some reviews online

These are usually a good start
https://www.parkablogs.com/tags/drawing-tablet-reviews
https://graphicstabletguru.com/best-drawing-tablets-2020/

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

One thing you should know if you decide to go the Affinity Photo on iPad route. On the iPad AP have no outline and feathering indication when drawing so you have to estimate the current size of the brush all the time. It can be confusing for some artists. Some might like it that way. I didn't. I get distracted all the time and have to resize the brush to se how big it actually is.