You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop 3D mouse drivers for affinity designers

I want to share an idea I had.

I work with SolidWorks and use a 3D mouse from 3Dconnexion for zooming and panning - it would certainly be helpful if Affinity Designer also had driver support for continuous zooming and panning.

Product: Space Navigator

With kind regards
    Georg Köhler

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
47 minutes ago, fde101 said:

To the OP: please consider changing your username.  An email address which is publicly visible invites spammers.

Good advice, as always, but this thread was created in March 2020 and the OP hasn’t visited these forums since then! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 9/26/2021 at 3:08 PM, Alfred said:

Good advice, as always, but this thread was created in March 2020 and the OP hasn’t visited these forums since then! :o

Write him this recommendation to change his nickname to this email 🙂

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 5 months later...

Not a complete solution, but a bit of a hack. I used these steps, to make my Spacemouse Pro work as a joystick:

Community Event / Creation - Sx2vJoy; get your 3DConnexion device working like a 3D joystick (formerly SN2vJoy) | Frontier Forums

and then I used XPadder application that can translate joystick movements to mouse or button changes including autofire for faster movement.

I then mapped the axises I wanted to certain key combinations and it seems to work ok. Only problem is I can only assign 5 axises with XPadder so I had to leave one unused.

Basically:

• Push down / pull up (set as triggers) : zoom in / zoom out (Ctrl + mousewheel with 0.02s autofire)
  • Twist left / right: rotate image (Alt + mousewheel with 0.02s autofire)
  • Move up/down/left/right : pan image (mousewheel up/down/left/righ with 0.02s autofire)

The buttons I could remap already from the 3D Connexion's own software. (Edit: they are remappable to joystick buttons or keyboard keys from Sx2vJoy)

XPadder costs a little money, but there are free alternatives that might work e.g. Joy2Key or AutoHotkey

Here's an example video: https://youtu.be/YjqWc81uPF8

Edited by Rezorrand
Added additional info about keymapping.