You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Just purchased AP, and have been going thru the video tutorials (which are helpful so far.)  When opening a RAW file Making adjustments is fairly intuitive.  (

)

My question is when I'm done editing the RAW file to end the session to I click on the DEVELOP button (top right corner)?  If yes, are the adjustments permanent (destructive) to the original RAW file?  If yes, please advise how to make non permanent edits to the original RAW file.  Do you see a RESET button in your future (ala LR)?

I'm sure it's non-destructive to the original raw file as it makes no sense to actually edit the photo site data in a raw file. Clicking Develop, I expect, creates a pixel image from the raw file. Raw files don't contain RGB pixels so it would be difficult and unnecessary to apply edits to the raw data in the original file.

The image is recorded in the camera as something resembling a black and white image (think single channel). The demosiacing process converts the image by splitting up the original data into 3 separate color channels (R,G,B) which when combined create the color image. So in basic terms, you multiple the amount of data in the RAW by 3 (it's not exactly 3 but that explains the concept) since it's being split up.