You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frame Text tool, text overriding the boundaries?

Can you give us a sample .afdesign document where that has happened? Then we can look at its settings and tell you what has gone wrong.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, Bruno S said:

The text is longer than the box size, and somehow it overrides the limits being still visible.

This is normal. When there is more text in AD than will fit in the text frame, the text expands downward beyond the bottom of the frame. If you move the pointer over the lower middle control handle until it turns into a vertical double headed arrow shape & double-click, the frame will expand downward to include all of it.

Edited by R C-R
corrected poor description

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

This is normal. When there is more text in AD than will fit in the text frame, the text expands downward beyond the bottom of the frame. If you move the pointer over the lower middle control handle until it turns into a vertical double headed arrow shape & double-click, the frame will expand downward to include all of it.

The intention is to crop the text when the box is smaller and hide it more than the opposite in my case. Thank you

Thank you @Lagarto I will do what I can anyways cause this is just a CV and masking to write a simple text might be to far. I really appreciate your help, but I am still surprised by some aspects in the workflow.

Sometimes is better to improve what others did rather than revolutionize the common sense in order to be different. 

4 hours ago, Bruno S said:

The intention is to crop the text when the box is smaller and hide it more than the opposite in my case. Thank you

Thanks for sharing the file so we could better understand your problem, Bruno.

That is not a function offered by Designer. You will need to either:

1. Expand the text frame yourself to encompass all the text (or double-click the middle node on the bottom of the frame); or
  2. Select and delete (or move) the excess text yourself.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Bruno S said:

I do not have Publisher, neither planning to, but I must say the workflow in AD in some of their tools ....In other words the box tool does not perform as such.

I suspect that this is a consequence of their decision early in the planning stages to offer an integrated suite of three inexpensive apps, each with tools & other features intended for certain kinds of work instead of putting everything possible into one more expensive one.

BTW, Publisher is better suited for the creation of multi-page documents (among other things). If you intend to do much of that kind of work, this is a great time to buy it because in response to the pandemic affecting people all over the world, they are temporarily selling it (& all of the other Affinity apps) for 50% of the normal retail price. The normal 10 day trial versions of the desktop apps have also been temporarily extended to 90 days.

Details at https://affinity.serif.com/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you, I might give a try to publisher if it is more suited to make a CV. I will use the tryout and feel how it works. 

I understand your view about Affinity and their fair prices, that was the reason why I sign out from Adobe cloud. 

Being said that, I do not believe that a box tool will exemplify a feature that "putting everything possible into " thing...

38 minutes ago, Bruno S said:

Being said that, I do not believe that a box tool will exemplify a feature that "putting everything possible into " thing...

Neither do I, but if you spend much time browsing through the forums, you may notice how many different tools & features various people have said are the one(s) that should have also been in either or both of the other apps. Of course there are also tons of requests for tools & features that none of the apps currently support, plus a bunch more asking for quick fixes for bugs & for new options for the existing stuff.

Taken together, it is very nearly the equivalent of the "putting everything possible into" thing.

Affinity Photo