You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question/Bug? Wacom Tablet

I'm a Mac user but, due to Covid-19 i'm working at home where i have the windows version.

I'm having some difficulties setting up my wacom tablet to use at least as i'm used to on Mac but i've found something strange, at least for me.

First i only have the app "reading" the pen pressure when i have the "windows ink" ticked in the wacom settings. Is that correct?

Then, and this is the same in the retail and in the new 1.8.3, if i have "Use windows ink enabled" in preferences i can't use the CTRL+ALT+Right mouse click and drag to control the brush size, I have some tooltip showing next to the pointer with ctrl+alt and i simply can't increase or decrease, but if i untick it's working as expected.

This is the normal and the expected behaviour? What settings do you recommend? (I honestly don't like to have the virtual keyboard showing everytime i need to start typing which i think it is related to have windows ink enabled in the wacom preferences... any recommendation on this too?

• Staff

Hi dcarvalho84,

There are some known issues using some graphic tablets when 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input' is enabled. There are some cases where you won't be able to insert nodes, other times it prevents you from moving objects etc. These are all issues we've logged and are looking into it.

Have you tried using the application with 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input' checkbox disabled inside Affinity ? If so does that behave how you're wanting? 

1 minute ago, Sean P said:

Hi dcarvalho84,

There are some known issues using some graphic tablets when 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input' is enabled. There are some cases where you won't be able to insert nodes, other times it prevents you from moving objects etc. These are all issues we've logged and are looking into it.

Have you tried using the application with 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input' checkbox disabled inside Affinity ? If so does that behave how you're wanting? 

Hi Sean

I've now unticked Windows Ink in the wacom preferences and in ADesigner and now it's working well, but for some reason i've done that before and ADesigner was not reading the pressure input.

Nevermind, case closed for me. Thanks. (You can delete the thread if you want)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

For me the problem is the actual Win Ink. Because it overides the common functions of AD.

For example, with Win Ink turned on I can´t move the sliders on color panel, and if I cclick to numeral input them, this annoying keyboard shows up. There´s other things happening, but you get the point, as specified in the previous comments.

WHat I am doing now is to leave ink off, and just when I absolutely need the pen pressure I turn it on. 

3 hours ago, Riven The Cap said:

Hello all

For me the problem is the actual Win Ink. Because it overides the common functions of AD.

For example, with Win Ink turned on I can´t move the sliders on color panel, and if I cclick to numeral input them, this annoying keyboard shows up. There´s other things happening, but you get the point, as specified in the previous comments.

WHat I am doing now is to leave ink off, and just when I absolutely need the pen pressure I turn it on. 

I can have pen pressure even with windows ink off.

27 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I can have pen pressure even with windows ink off.

It's important to discuss this in the context of Affinity releases, too. 1.8 required Windows Ink if you wanted pressure. 1.8.2 allows you to disable use of Windows Ink in the Affinity Preferences, and you can do that without losing pressure.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

32 minutes ago, Riven The Cap said:

Thats my issue since 1.8.0

I´ve lost pen pressure. Only works with windows ink on at the wacom prefs. 

At 1.8.0 that should be true.

At 1.8.2 or later there's an Affinity Preference that controls whether the app uses Windows Ink or not:
image.png.67e5a70cb871356a13056d196e1ba0ea.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:10 AM, Sean P said:

Hi dcarvalho84,

That explains so much why I was having selection issue(s) with the tablet when doing things like crop and other selections. I thought it was just something I was doing on my end and hadn't had the time to test it. I have always have to disable Win ink in every other app I've used with my tablet so it shouldn't be so surprising to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:36 PM, Riven The Cap said:

Yes, it does.

But as I said, if I leave Windows Ink on, I have other problems like this keyboard that shows up when I click on a text box, or that I can´t drag sliders using the pen.

Thats why I leave it off, and just turn it on when I need the pressure

That is the problem I am having. The virtual keyboard pops up if I try to change font, or a dimension in brushes or page size. I have disabled Windows Ink in either the Wacom setting specifically for Designer and/or in Designer preferences and the keyboard seems to stop popping up, however dynamics in pixel brush disappear.

I had exactly the same problem in Photo, but that has gone away by disabling Windows Ink in Photo preferences but leaving it enabled in Wacom specific settings for Photo, and I still have dynamics in the brush

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.