Sign in to follow this  
Thomahawk

Designer Pantone colorize a picture

Hi. Can I set a bitmap or greyscale picture to Pantone spot color in Designer, like I am used to from FreeHand?

How else can I achieve to get an image in Pantone color?

Thanks for your input,

Thom

Yes, it is possible even if a bit limited:

pmstoning_withcurves.jpg.4fdb94846fc62023bfe0dc84f9284550.jpg

You would typically start by creating a CMYK/8 document and importing a grayscale image (or a color image and then click the "K only" button on the Toolbar; but you'll get better results if you use a grayscale image which you have already optimized for toning). Then you would simply assign a PMS spot color as a fill for the bitmap to make it print on a separate plate using a PMS defined ink. 

You cannot specify a tone (as has been done in the screenshot above for the smaller purple pumpkin) -- or you can, but it has no effect.

However you can place a grayscale copy on top of the toned version and use Multiply blending effect to have a faked duotone. You can even apply a Curve Adjustment using the Gray channel and simulate a kind of a duotone.

An important thing to remember is that you cannot use PDF/X-1a:2003 or PDF/X-3 export methods to produce the print PDF as they convert an image that has curve adjustment or Multiply blending effect applied on top of a PMS toned image to a CMYK image. Using PDF/X-4 (or manually setting up the export based on "PDf (for press)" preset) work fine.

You would need a tool like Adobe Acrobat Pro to be sure that you really get PMS colors:

pmstoning_preview.jpg.3ef407207b63bc0d14e9115cf9d8eeee.jpg

pmstoning_black.jpg.e1af189b17bd1562544c0615356f52bb.jpg

Affinity apps also behave a bit randomly when applying gray channel curve adjustments on a grayscale image that is multiplied on top of a PMS toned image. They occasionally cause the image to be converted to CMYK without any obvious reason. Deleting the adjustment and applying it again fixes the problem. 

I have not managed to use other adjustments in context of PMS toning, they all (except the Curve Adjustment) seem to have the effect of converting the image to CMYK.

pumpkins.afdesign

pumpkins.pdf

Hi Lagarto

This is indeed good news. Thank you Lagarto.

Strange is, its exactly as I am used to, only that I did copy paste the image from afPhoto and that did not work. I now exported a grayscale TIFF from afPhoto, placed it in Designer and then it worked like you described, setting the Pantone color for it.

Unfortunately this shows once again how far behind the affinity apps are in regards of easy of use. There are by far too many quirks with these apps, so that many things do not work by intuition, too many things have to be set right until it works. One further example is here, when I copied the colored image and cut a bit from one side, it lost the color setting and got treated in CMYK, which was only detectable later in Adobe Acrobat, checking color separation.

2 hours ago, Thomahawk said:

Strange is, its exactly as I am used to, only that I did copy paste the image from afPhoto and that did not work. I now exported a grayscale TIFF from afPhoto, placed it in Designer and then it worked like you described, setting the Pantone color for it.

Possibly the copy/paste gave you a (Pixel) layer. Placing gives you a (Image) layer whose Fill can be adjusted, accomplishing what you wanted.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.650 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.651 Beta.

46 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Possibly the copy/paste gave you a (Pixel) layer. Placing gives you a (Image) layer whose Fill can be adjusted, accomplishing what you wanted.

Yes, it is important that the image that is used here is shown as "Image" and not "Pixels". That means basically: an imported file, and I'd use a grayscale bitmap that is already optimized for this kind of use (typically meaning that you would increase its contrast and make midtones a bit lighter).

3 hours ago, Thomahawk said:

There are by far too many quirks with these apps, so that many things do not work by intuition

No they do not. For this job, if you start with an RGB document, your PDF exports will crash if you use spot colors (PMS inks), and you cannot use PDF/X1 and PDF/X3 exports if you in any way adjust the toning, and if you use a curve, you may need to recreate it, etc. I think they have not been designed to do these kinds of things, which somehow frustrates, considering that you have all the necessary tools integrated and available.