You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SVG Export curve -> circle problem

AwoL

Hi!

If i can create a circle and convert to curve, the layers panel show the object is curve, but if i can export to SVG, in the SVG file the circle is use the circle tag, not the path.

1.8.2.620 on Win10Pro.

Regards,
Zsolt Hajdu

• Staff

Hi Zsolt Hajdu,

I believe this is done to create smaller and cleaner SVGs. If you don't mind me asking, as I can pass the information on to development, what are the reasons you require this to be a path instead of a circle element? 

Hi,

As a web developer I can assure you that it can make a difference. For example you might want to export an svg image and then animate it using JavaScript. You can animate the path to make it look completely different, but you can only animate position and the size of a circle...

It would be nice if you could choose if you want an SVG to be optimized or saved as-is.

Sean P, thanks the answer.

Yes szaleq, i have  same situation. 
In my opinion is, if i want to use a circle like a path, i can convert it, in the Affinity Designer.
When i need to use the SVG in other application i can change consciously the circle to path, because i need to use the path, not the circle.
I understand the optimization, but it not consequent the conversion back to circle.
IMHO. 

• 3 years later...

The SVG circle conversion bug is still not fixed in V2 either.
In fact, if I convert a circle to a path and don't move any of its points, Designer still exports a circle(svg tag).
But if I move the node of the path(exports path what normal) and if I move the node back to the last position where the path/circle is again a circle(looks like), it exports svg circle tag again but the object remains path!
The bug is not fixed...