You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How is it that I can still use after the trial?

I installed the Affinity Publisher trial version just to get a look and feel. I like the software. My question is that, I can still export my project to PDF even after my trial period is over. There is no watermark or logo in the exported PDF. 

I'm confused. How is this possible? Shouldn't Affinity just either stop working or attach a watermark when trial is over?

35 minutes ago, Deshy said:

How do I know when that expires? Will there be a watermark on my output?

When you start the program there should be a dialog window informing you how much time is left in the trial.

And no, there's no watermark.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

20 minutes ago, Deshy said:

Jeez. My trial just ended. Thanks for tracking my IP and nipping it in the bud. 😡

Pretty sure it is all automated and not someone sitting there manually de-autherizing demo's of their software. For what Affinity has done the software is incredibly cheap. Maybe you should just drop the few dollars and buy it rather then try and get free work done on demo software. 

27 minutes ago, Deshy said:

Jeez. My trial just ended. Thanks for tracking my IP and nipping it in the bud. 😡

We absolutely do not do this. The default trial period is 10 days, once you've exceeded this length of time, your next application start will prompt you to enter a product key.

• Staff

@Deshy As mentioned earlier in this thread, the Affinity apps are all currently on sale and we're offering an extended trial period of 90 days.

This 'extended trial' uses a different authentication method from the 10 day trial, meaning you're welcome to sign up for the extended version now, where you can enter the product key and continue testing the app for 90 days.

You can sign up for this extended trial here -  https://affinity.serif.com/90-day-affinity-trial/

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, wonderings said:

Pretty sure it is all automated and not someone sitting there manually de-autherizing demo's of their software. For what Affinity has done the software is incredibly cheap. Maybe you should just drop the few dollars and buy it rather then try and get free work done on demo software. 

Maybe you should stop assuming things? I downloaded the trial and I like the software and yes, it may surprise you to hear this, but I want to purchase it. That is why I started this thread in the first place! Because I am not sure why my trial is not over as I certainly used it more than 10 days. I'm just curious how within 1 hour of starting this thread, my trial ended and I got a message to purchase it. THAT is what I have an issue with. Certainly not about "just dropping a few dollars". Duh!

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

We absolutely do not do this. The default trial period is 10 days, once you've exceeded this length of time, your next application start will prompt you to enter a product key.

That's the thing! I signed up for Affinity on 2nd March. Obviously, I used it more than 10 days and I used it daily to test the product. That is why I created this thread to ask how that was possible. Within an hour after this thread, my program crashed and I am getting a popup to buy. 

42 minutes ago, Deshy said:

That's the thing! I signed up for Affinity on 2nd March. Obviously, I used it more than 10 days and I used it daily to test the product. That is why I created this thread to ask how that was possible. Within an hour after this thread, my program crashed and I am getting a popup to buy. 

There question is not when you signed up, but when (day, and time) you first ran the program after you installed it. That's when the clock starts.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

There question is not when you signed up, but when (day, and time) you first ran the program after you installed it. That's when the clock starts.

I ran it immediately after signing up.

15 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Has the program been open for a while? Maybe it was the crash which forced you to restart it that made it stop. Not sure if that would be a work around the trial by just leaving the app running, all I can think of. 

The prog was running on my computer everyday. I closed it once to restart and then opened again without any issues... I do not remember for sure whether that was before the 10-day period was over but it feels like recently. Can't say for sure though. Also not sure why the program crashed or whether it actually crashed or whether it just closed to show me the popup...

1 hour ago, Deshy said:

It sounds like you have kept the application open past the end of the 10 day trial period. We only check the trial period at startup (as we think it's rude to close down the application if you're in the middle of working on something). The crash will have forced you to start again, triggering the message.

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

It sounds like you have kept the application open past the end of the 10 day trial period. We only check the trial period at startup (as we think it's rude to close down the application if you're in the middle of working on something). The crash will have forced you to start again, triggering the message.

Or it was a forced crash/close. I didn't do anything weird. No reason for the prog to crash...

There is no conspiracy here. You really think Affinity is going to be doing this on demos? Paying someone to monitor individual demo accounts or coding in crashing? Even if you left it running to keep it going eventually you are going to need to restart your computer and your demo will come to an end. Same goes for crashing, nothing particular needs to be happening for it to crash, I have random crashes in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop... though it is not common it does happen. No one cares enough about you and your usage of demo software to make sure it crashes so you cannot use it anymore without buying it. 

• Staff

This thread hasn't yet devolved into a concern, but please be mindful of our Community Guidelines and remember to be respectful of others.

We're all here for the same reason (I hope!) and we're happy to help with any issues or concerns you may have with regards to the Affinity suite :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 3/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, wonderings said:

There is no conspiracy here. You really think Affinity is going to be doing this on demos? Paying someone to monitor individual demo accounts or coding in crashing? Even if you left it running to keep it going eventually you are going to need to restart your computer and your demo will come to an end. Same goes for crashing, nothing particular needs to be happening for it to crash, I have random crashes in Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop... though it is not common it does happen. No one cares enough about you and your usage of demo software to make sure it crashes so you cannot use it anymore without buying it. 

The "skeptical look" was a joke and it was not even meant for you. If you are unable to comment without getting triggered maybe you should stop commenting? First you incorrectly assumed that I am not willing to throw a few bucks to buy the software. I am willing to buy even InDesign if the software fits my needs. Now, you are getting triggered because I made a comment to someone else. Newsflash for you, I don't care about your opinion either. 

On 3/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, Mark Ingram said:

OK, I've told you exactly how the system works (I know, because I wrote it). At this point I'll no longer reply to this thread (nor will I read any further responses). Thanks.

It was a joke. My mistake was not adding a smily after that. Like this :D. It was not meant as an insult so chill!

If you say you don't do something, then you don't do it. You don't have to have written the software to justify your opinion.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:13 PM, Mark Ingram said:

At this point I'll no longer reply to this thread (nor will I read any further responses)

Adios. I guess your support should be really nice too. Good to know.

Edited by Deshy

10 hours ago, Deshy said:

The "skeptical look" was a joke and it was not even meant for you. If you are unable to comment without getting triggered maybe you should stop commenting? First you incorrectly assumed that I am not willing to throw a few bucks to buy the software. I am willing to buy even InDesign if the software fits my needs. Now, you are getting triggered because I made a comment to someone else. Newsflash for you, I don't care about your opinion either. 

You think I am triggered over a support forum? I will insert an emoticon for you 😂 I am simply responding to your posts, are they not being received how you would like them to be?

Personally I would recommend Indesign over Publisher at the moment. Too many little issues with Publisher if you are doing pro work. The big one is not being able to place a PDF file in Publisher without it wanting to make it editable. This can cause so many issues and create a lot of problems. For me that is the biggest one right now. Would be nice to have data merge and a few other things but those would all be putting the cart before the horse in my opinion. 

Indesign has years and years of refinement, it just works, albeit with a silly subscription service that I hate which makes the relationship with adobe love/hate. It is the best, just leaves you stuck with their stupid rental plan.