You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Develop Persona Rotate

Noticed that the Develop Persona rotate feature messes things up for both Raw Files and Jpeg files when using the rotate option buttons! I have tried this on several RAW file formats (Olympus, Canon, Nikon) and also JPEGS. In addition the preview image becomes darker, I would expect the whole image/document and the canvas to rotate in sync as it does in every other piece of software I have (Photoshop ACR, Lightroom, On1 Photo Raw 2020, RawTherapee, Corel Aftershot Pro3 and Corel Paintshop, DxO). The reason for so many software packages is that as a photographer and as tutor of digital imaging, I need to know the available alternatives to advise learners!

The work around for me if I want to use the Affinity Photo RAW processing options is to NOT rotate any image in the 'Develop Persona' and just rotate it in 'Photo Persona'. 

Hopefully, this bug will be sorted out by the next update. 

01-Affinity-Photo-1.8.2.620-Develop_Persona-Rotate-Bug.jpg

02-Affinity-Photo-1.8.2.620-Develop_Persona-Rotate-Bug.jpg

03-Affinity-Photo-1.8.2.620-Develop_Persona-Rotate-Bug.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Rotating a raw file in Develop Persona darkens it) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you. (It may require a Ctrl+run up to take effect)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi Folks just downloaded the latest update 1.8.4.693 and installed it as administrator. For me the problem still remains! My solution is still valid, don't rotate any image files in the 'Develop' persona just do it in the 'Photo' persona. In the 'Develop' persona the  image is still rotated in a darkened state, but the image/document (Canvas)  is left in its original orientation giving me a cropped squared image. Hope this feed back helps.

Affiniity photo-01 v184693.jpg

Affiniity photo-02 v184693.jpg

Affiniity photo-03 v184693.jpg

• Staff

@Chris B please investigate this (on your return) thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hi Paul,

You may need to do a soft reset on the software. You can either:

1. Hold Ctrl when launching the app and click Clear when prompted, however this will reset your UI layout of you've changed it and reset your defaults. So you can instead:
  2. Press the Windows key + R and type %appdata% and go to Affinity > Photo and rename the 1.0 folder to 1.1

Once you've done either of those, try the rotation again and let me know if that's fixed :)