You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Recommendations for affordable graphics tablets/pen displays

I'm starting out on looking into what options are available to me, if I want to add a graphics tablet or pen display to my system.

I have a refurbed mac pro, which currently runs El Capitan.

I've also got an iPad Air 2. I had got hopeful that I could make use of this via Astropad - however the Air 2 isn't compatible with the Apple Pencil and therefore not supported.

It's also not compatible with Sidecar... and neither would my mac pro be, because I don't think it can run Catalina.

So I'm back to looking at third party devices. Any recommendations for ones that aren't super expensive, and will play nicely with my mac, and Affinity apps? I'm open to buying second hand - especially if that might be a good option compatibility wise given my now slightly outdated setup.

Or... is there any mileage in considering using the iPad directly - install Affinity apps on that, and find a compatible stylus? I would then work directly on the iPad when I want to do stuff with a Stylus. Does it work to transfer files between the iOS and OSX versions of Affinity apps?

For a graphics tablet to use with your Mac, take a look at XP-Pen. As for a stylus to use with your iPad Air 2, some people like the Adonit products but I’m quite happy with my much less expensive Meko stylus.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

For a graphics tablet to use with your Mac, take a look at XP-Pen. As for a stylus to use with your iPad Air 2, some people like the Adonit products but I’m quite happy with my much less expensive Meko stylus.

Thanks! I'll have a look into these. Do you transfer files between your ipad and desktop, or do you do your Affinity work all on the ipad?

4 minutes ago, lineweight said:

Thanks! I'll have a look into these. Do you transfer files between your ipad and desktop, or do you do your Affinity work all on the ipad?

I mostly use my iPad these days, but I have occasionally transferred files to or from my Windows laptop. I don’t have any particularly complex projects, so I’m generally not too hampered by the fact that a few features are missing from the iPad apps.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/24/2020 at 11:37 AM, lineweight said:

I'm starting out on looking into what options are available to me, if I want to add a graphics tablet or pen display to my system.

I have a refurbed mac pro, which currently runs El Capitan.

I've also got an iPad Air 2. I had got hopeful that I could make use of this via Astropad - however the Air 2 isn't compatible with the Apple Pencil and therefore not supported.

It's also not compatible with Sidecar... and neither would my mac pro be, because I don't think it can run Catalina.

So I'm back to looking at third party devices. Any recommendations for ones that aren't super expensive, and will play nicely with my mac, and Affinity apps? I'm open to buying second hand - especially if that might be a good option compatibility wise given my now slightly outdated setup.

Or... is there any mileage in considering using the iPad directly - install Affinity apps on that, and find a compatible stylus? I would then work directly on the iPad when I want to do stuff with a Stylus. Does it work to transfer files between the iOS and OSX versions of Affinity apps?

I use a wacom intuos S on a mac 27 running el capitan and it works very well.