You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 after update crashes ver 1.8.2.620 Aphoto

Hi Affinity,  I am struggling with instability of start up after a windows 10 update has knackered the start up of Affinity Photo version 1.8.2.620  .  This is the third time that Affinity Photo has become unstable in the past two weeks.   I have managed to get the latest beta version installed of Affinity Photo with version number 1.8.1611 (Beta).  Seriously Affinity needs to get this issue resolved............. and rapidly.  

Currently version 1.8.2.620 starts to load, gets as far as the main programme window opening and then suddenly crashes !!!!

Cyberlink photo software is running without such idiosyncrasies.  Affinity will loose their reputation rapidly............... Sorry but this is a true statement.

Await some solution ASAP best regards John Edwin Skelton in exile in Slovakia.

I don't have this problem seen  and use last version of windows 10. 

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

1 hour ago, Yorkie Bar Kid said:

Currently version 1.8.2.620 starts to load, gets as far as the main programme window opening and then suddenly crashes !!!!

Perhaps the following FAQ entry will provide some help:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi to forum members,  I have tried every tactic so far recommended to get Affinity Photo to start correctly............ It is still crashing on start up.  Publisher works, Designer works, but not Affinity Photo.

Affinity photo beta works...........  I am about to give up and start to work with another photo editor................   Affinity Photo did work, then it stopped loading, I managed to load a later version of Affinity Photo and got it working again............  Now it is not loading after the start up logo screen has displayed..................  Seriously Affinity has to get to the bottom of such inconsistent software behaviour..........  It is only Affinity Photo that is knackered up..................

Yours most frustrated I have to say.

John Edwin in Slovakia in lock-down without even a beer to console myself with I can only look at my images of yesterdaysnowweiss-cut-1-full-web.thumb.jpg.9da80b7f9f408ce34626938ca6d73ab2.jpg

I can startup the program and use it just fine for a hour or so. Then windows crashes and I can't even get into task manager for several minutes. Then, it starts working again. I am running a fresh install and basic drivers for windows 10 and nvidia drivers. Everything was great until this last update. I love the program and sure a fix will be coming soon. I reboot every hour and avoid whatever is causing this to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to Forum members,  I have just upgraded to the latest version of Affinity Photo running on windows 10.  Legal version !!.  Affinity Designer runs OK on start up, Publisher runs OK on start up, Affinity Photo Beta runs on start up but the latest version behaves just the like the previous version does.  The programme starts to load, gets as far as the main photo screen is starting to display and then simply crashes.  I have uploaded a screen recorder shot to show this stupid situation.  How can anyone recommend Affinity on to other friends when this problem is manifesting itself and so far Affinity has not been able to come up with a mechanism in a step by step way using perhaps a recorded video posted on Vimeo or YouTube.  Or maybe they have done so.  As a 72 and half year old computer illiterate it would be nice to have some step by step guidance to resolve the issue.

In the past Affinity Photo worked on my system.  The situation started to manifest itself after a recent forced windows 10 upgrade.  But why is only Affinity Photo affected and the other Affinity programmes start up as normal after the Windows 10 upgrades........ Yours baffled and frustrated.  Any help appreciated.  Best regards John Edwin in Exile and lockdown in the Slovak Republic................

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @KitKat1947

Firstly, please can you confirm that you have now updated to Affinity Photo 1.8.5 and this problem still persists (as I believe to be the case) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Hey KitKat1947,

I see you also have the beta—does this also suffer the crash?

There are a few things you need to make sure you've done:

1. Remove your graphics drivers and reinstall the latest ones. This usually works more reliably than simply updating them
  2. Make sure you haven't accidentally installed the apps to the same folder. This typically allows one app to run and the other crash depending on the order installed. You want to install them to different folders or better yet, their default folders.
  3. Check this list to see if you have any of the apps installed that are known to cause a crash - 
  4. Make sure there are no pending Windows updates etc.
  5. Can you check to see if you have any crash reports. You can find them in C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports or C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Store)\CrashReports\reports (if you purchased the MS Store version).

I'll look forward to hearing from you and my sincerest apologies for not getting to you sooner. 

No the BETA programme does not have the same instant crash problem.  However as affinity is aware the latest beta has other issues. 

I will try to get a new set of graphic drivers sorted out.

There are no pending Windows 10 updates.

Non of the problem apps on the list are installed on my system

You can see from my image that I am somewhat long in the tooth.  Actually my hair is now not just grey it is snowy white.  Therefore I went to school before there was even a simple pocket calculator.  So it takes some effort for me to activate my dwindling grey cells.  Will do my best to trace any crash reports.

Regards

John Edwin in exile in the Slovak Republic.