You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher as Studio

Now that I have Publisher, and can launch AP and AD from within it nearly instantly, Publisher could act like a 'Studio' version of the Affinity products. I could configure my system to launch Publisher for AP and AD files. It appears that when I switch to AP from within APub, I am in the full AP program with all AP features available. Is this the case?

Assuming memory isn't an issue, is there any reason not to do this?

It would be even better if APub opened in the app associated with the file type I opened. For example, if I open an .afphoto file in APub, it opens in the APub UI rather than the AP UI. No biggie, but this would be a nice touch.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

4 hours ago, casterle said:

It appears that when I switch to AP from within APub, I am in the full AP program with all AP features available. Is this the case?

StudioLink gives you the Photo Persona from Affinity Photo directly within Publisher (but not the other Photo Personas), though there are some Photo Persona functions missing.

And it gives you the Designer Persona from Affinity Designer directly within Publisher (but not the other Designer Personas).

So it depends on what you mean by "switch to AP":

• If you use the Personas within Publisher, no, you are not getting access to the full programs.
  • But if you use File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer then yes, you get access to the full programs. But what you're doing in that case is transferring the project out of Publisher (losing immediate access to the Publisher functions) into the other application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  • If you use the Personas within Publisher, no, you are not getting access to the full programs.
  • But if you use File > Edit in Photo or File > Edit in Designer then yes, you get access to the full programs. But what you're doing in that case is transferring the project out of Publisher (losing immediate access to the Publisher functions) into the other application.

Thanks for the insight. That explains how the devs got AP/AD to come up so fast.

So I guess the answer is no, Publisher can't be used as a 'studio' for all the apps. Oh well, I'm still excited to play around with Publisher, although I have no real use for it.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

1 hour ago, casterle said:

So I guess the answer is no, Publisher can't be used as a 'studio' for all the apps.

As most of my work in Photo and Designer is in their main Personas, and only rarely do I use the FIle-menu functions from the Photo Persona that are missing from Publisher, I would reach the opposite conclusion :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1