You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Difference between artistic text and frame text

Welcome to the forums.

Basically, Artistic Text is often better for ‘one-off’ short bits of text and Text Frames are generally better for longer lengths of text but there is no hard-and-fast rule as to which you should choose. You probably wouldn’t use a Text Frame to create a poster title and you probably wouldn’t use Artistic Text for the copy text in a book. Where the line in between the two is drawn is something you just have to find for yourself.

Read what the Help tells you about each and experiment using them until you find what works best for you in different circumstances.

11 hours ago, Maphco said:

Hey there.

Could someone explain the difference between the artistic text tool and the frame text tool?

Thanks!

If you change the size of the Artistic Text text-frame-box it will resize the text inside, you can make it wider or taller or both. If you change the size of the Text Frame text-frame-box it will reflow the text inside it without changing the size of the letters.

In Publisher there are more options available to the Text Frame tool, most obvious and useful is linking of the text so it can flow from one frame to another.

What @GarryP said about short bits of text vs longer lengths is true too, in fact I useually choose the tool according to his criteria of length.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

What @GarryP said about short bits of text vs longer lengths is true too...

In general, I use Art text only for text that is no longer than a single sentence.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@Maphco perhaps the biggest difference is that artistic text can be manipulated in ways that frame text cannot.060B2B58-5B94-4140-83C3-97CC3385BFD6.thumb.jpeg.440beaf57f8668dd2c8db114f668b324.jpeg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9