You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

UX! Designer updates brushes almost forever

I accidentally opened this file - and thought Designer had crashed. Spinner and an unusual long waiting time. There is no way to see that it is a brush file from the desktop icon (same icon for brushes and documents, not good), but fortunately I checked the file extension elsewhere and understood something could be happening under the hood. Designer didn't offer a clue other than Windows adding "Not responding" and the fan running faster for quite some time.

It was duplicat brushes so when the never ending proces ended - I removed the brushes again. Had to wait even longer. Still no feedback.

Some user will terminate Designer one day believing it has crashes - in the middle of the update. Doesn't sound safe. 

UX solution: Designer showing a dialog with "Installing brushes, removing brushes, doing some maintenance" etc. Feedback. 

Affinity_Airbrush.afbrushes

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff

Hi Jowday,

These brushes opened almost instantly for me when double clicked and also when dragged into the application. Certainly didn't get any form of spinner or unresponsiveness that you've reported.

With regards to the actual icons themselves this is something that has been raised quite recently with us which we've passed on to development!

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Jowday,

These brushes opened almost instantly for me when double clicked and also when dragged into the application. Certainly didn't get any form of spinner or unresponsiveness that you've reported.

With regards to the actual icons themselves this is something that has been raised quite recently with us which we've passed on to development!

hi @Sean P

The problem is not the brush file itself - it is because I have tons of brushes installed already. If I install them in Designer beta where I have zero brushes installed besides the default brushes, they are installed quickly. Doing so in the release version takes forever.

I suspect that brushes are installed or removed rather... clumsy... in single file archives, look below. But anyway during the process of updating these files the user should know what is going on.

In my case gigabytes of data was copied and updated while Designer looked like it had crashed. I assume.

image.png.d5d3e270ab590789ed2324bcbfbf4809.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.