You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment layers presets (Affinity Photo, Desktop)

Hi Stepaan,

yes it is possible, you find an "add preset"-button on the top left of each adjustment-layer. To apply your preset you have to open the Adjustment-Tab (Menu: View/Studio/Adjustment) you find your presets there with a small pre view-icon. Sorry my english is not so good, but maybe this picture will help:

Ad-Layer-preset.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In the title of the thread you specified “Affinity Photo, Desktop” so it’s easy to see where the confusion was there, but you seem to be correct in saying that the “Add Preset” buttons seem to be ‘missing’ from the Adjustments in the Photo Persona of Publisher. I wonder why that is.

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

but you seem to be correct in saying that the “Add Preset” buttons seem to be ‘missing’ from the Adjustments in the Photo Persona of Publisher. I wonder why that is.

I'm not sure, either. It's not even there if you're using the Photo Persona while editing an embedded or linked document.

I suppose there might be some reason for that, but it could also be a bug. It might (I suppose) make sense for some reason to not allow it in the Publisher Persona, or when working on a complete page, but I don't understand why it would be missing when editing an embedded or linked document in the Photo Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yeah, it’s a bit odd.
At first I thought it might be because the Presets couldn’t be used in the Photo Persona, but they can, so that probably isn’t the reason. You can apply the default Presets but you can’t make any new ones. Maybe it’s something to do with where the Presets are saved. If the Photo Presets (not the default ones) are saved in the Photo application then Publisher might not be able to see them, or something like that.
I wonder if this is the same in OS X.

I apologize for the confusion. At the time of posting the question I thought, the Photo persona was a complete Affinity Photo opened within the publisher itself. Now I know I was wrong.

And yes, I was editing an embedded image. I wanted do save the preset for a later use. It's not possible.

I also wonder why we don't have any Central library of presets of all kinds for use in various Affinity applications...

9 minutes ago, Stepaan said:

I wanted do save the preset for a later use. It's not possible.

Preset adjustments can be saved in Assets

Once saved just drag it onto another image whenever you want to apply it again

Note: The Assets are common to all Personas in Publisher so it does not matter which persona you are in when you add to assets

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You only get the Photo Persona of Photo – or a slightly stripped-down (it seems) version of it – in Publisher’s Photo Persona. The same goes for Publisher’s Designer Persona.

Saving Adjustments as Assets, as mentioned by carl123 above, is a neat trick and you can import Assets from the other applications, so you can export your existing Presets from Photo and import them into Publisher.

I think the sharing of things like Presets could be more difficult to implement than it sounds when you consider things like sandboxing and having it working the same – from the user’s point-of-view – on the three OSes with different ways of installing the applications. Maybe something will happen once all three applications are on all three OSes, or not.

9 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Preset adjustments can be saved in Assets

Once saved just drag it onto another image whenever you want to apply it again

Note: The Assets are common to all Personas in Publisher so it does not matter which persona you are in when you add to assets

Hi Carl, they certainly can, there is a bit of an issue with this method though ... on my machine all adjustment layers added to Assets display as a red square, this is a bit of a pain when you need to visualise something such as a particular gradient map you want, with the presets in the adjustment panel that you have saved you do get a visualisation of the effect you need. We still need the ability to save presets from adjustment layers. The ability to export these presets is the main problem with the adjustment panel.

Hi im really new to Affinity Photo and editing in general. But i purchased a pack of presets for Affinity Photo from Iinkydeals and when i unzipped them all they have come down as .cube files but when i try to import the Presets through Affinity Photo the folders seem to be empty.

1 hour ago, jdavie said:

Hi im really new to Affinity Photo and editing in general. But i purchased a pack of presets for Affinity Photo from Iinkydeals and when i unzipped them all they have come down as .cube files but when i try to import the Presets through Affinity Photo the folders seem to be empty.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Here's one way:

1. From the menu, Layer > New Adjustment Layer > LUT...
  2. Click the Load LUT... button
  3. Navigate in the file manager dialog to your .cube file, select it, and click Open.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Here's one way:

1. From the menu, Layer > New Adjustment Layer > LUT...
  2. Click the Load LUT... button
  3. Navigate in the file manager dialog to your .cube file, select it, and click Open.

Walt                thanks for your assistance will give that a try.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, jdavie said:

Walt                thanks for your assistance will give that a try.

Walt                       thanks again for your help. Tried it the way that you said and they work perfectly....

Excellent; thanks for letting us know.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi jdavie :)

Photoshop Overlays, as far as I'm aware, are simply images layered over your document, using a specific blend mode. This too can be achieved in Affinity, I recommend checking out the following video regarding blend modes -

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/310319088/

If you have any specific questions after watching this, please do let us know!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 11:23 AM, Dan C said:

Hi jdavie :)

Photoshop Overlays, as far as I'm aware, are simply images layered over your document, using a specific blend mode. This too can be achieved in Affinity, I recommend checking out the following video regarding blend modes -

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/310319088/

If you have any specific questions after watching this, please do let us know!

Dan C thanks for you reply.