You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry but there is no Text Warp or Text Distort tool available in the Affinity applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

You can create this sort of effect using Filter > Distort > Equations. I wrote a macro to do this some time ago, so I cannot track it down. You do need to isolate the text first as a separate document, then rasterise it to a Pixel layer. Then it is just a matter of using Equations to scale vertically using the horizontal axis as a parameter.

I will look again in the morning and, if necessary re-create the Pennant macro.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 hours ago, sreichenberger said:

Hello all, hope you are all staying safe with Covid-19!

This is a quick question: do any of you know how to make text look as follows:

3945F7F4-D473-4309-87AA-EB2C20651C3A.jpeg

I tried using Affinity Photo but the perspective tool seems to make the text look distorted. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, no. Requested a billion times though.

A round trip via fx Inkscape (free) is necessary.  

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

You can create this sort of effect using Filter > Distort > Equations. I wrote a macro to do this some time ago, so I cannot track it down. You do need to isolate the text first as a separate document, then rasterise it to a Pixel layer. Then it is just a matter of using Equations to scale vertically using the horizontal axis as a parameter.

I will look again in the morning and, if necessary re-create the Pennant macro.

John

Thanks, John. Feel free to share the macro. I am new to Affinity so no idea how I would integrate the macro into Affinity. Is it difficult to do so?

2 hours ago, sreichenberger said:

Is this a separate application or an add-on for Affinity? Any other alternatives?

Separate. There is no add-on support in Designer.

If you need blend, mesh gradients, perspective tools, envelope distort etc... Affinity Designer does not have it or offer it via add-ons.

Designer is a world of work arounds and DIY.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Affinity Photos perspective tool distorts the text exactly as it would in such as illustrator. In the image below, the underlining black text was distorted using illustrators perspective grid, the overlaid grey text was distorted using Affinity Photo perspective tool, there are identical in the way the have distorted. The only difference is the Adobe Illustrator text iis converted to paths while Affinity Photo has converted the text to pixels.

I left a slight offset to show both distortions.

893231992_ScreenShot2020-03-24at07_26_16.png.53d5d1ec17a9430e00fea5a1d9c265d9.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The Perspective Tool (and the Perspective Filter) distorts the text because it is trying to force the layer to be in perspective – larger to the front, smaller to the back – and thus the text at the smaller end will be smaller in all dimensions.
The texts on the original image were not distorted with a perspective tool as the width of the vertical lines doesn’t get smaller as the text flows to the smaller end of the shape. See where the vertical lines in the “U” at the start are the same width as the vertical lines in the “N” at the end.
Mesh Warp gives a result which is a little bit closer to what is required but it’s not great either, see attached image where I haven’t taken much time (better results may be achievable with more work).
John’s Distort Equations Macro may be able to help when he posts it (if he finds it).

Annotation 2020-03-24 094425.png

12 hours ago, Jowday said:

Separate. There is no add-on support in Designer.

If you need blend, mesh gradients, perspective tools, envelope distort etc... Affinity Designer does not have it or offer it via add-ons.

Designer is a world of work arounds and DIY.

Just downloaded Inkscape, @Jowday. Having trouble finding the tool to create perspective text. Any ideas how to go about it?

Here is a first go at an Affinity Photo Macro to create a pennant.

Given a rectangular image like this:

1512728387_PennantBefore.png.2f5a4245459513240f17215b21bfe90d.png

The macro will convert it to this:

671186603_PennantAfter.png.6f6d3927d231d96ae8daf5485f2cf22d.png

Note that it scales the border as well as the text. If you wanted, you could apply the border afterwards.

Here is the macro:

Pennant.afmacro

To use the macro:

• Save the macro from here to a convenient location on your computer. ( I have a Macro folder under the Resources folder under Affinity Photo.)
  • Open Photo and load your Text image file. Trim it if necessary.
  • Load the Macro panel - View > Studio > Macro.
  • Load the macro by clicking on the Import icon (the last one in the row at the top of the panel). Find where you saved the macro and click to load.
  • Click on the Play Macro icon (the black triangle).
  • As I say, you might want to add a pennant-shaped outline.

John.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Here is a first go at an Affinity Photo Macro to create a pennant.

Given a rectangular image like this:

1512728387_PennantBefore.png.2f5a4245459513240f17215b21bfe90d.png

The macro will convert it to this:

671186603_PennantAfter.png.6f6d3927d231d96ae8daf5485f2cf22d.png

Note that it scales the border as well as the text. If you wanted, you could apply the border afterwards.

Here is the macro:

Pennant.afmacro 852 B · 0 downloads

To use the macro:

• Save the macro from here to a convenient location on your computer. ( I have a Macro folder under the Resources folder under Affinity Photo.)
  • Open Photo and load your Text image file. Trim it if necessary.
  • Load the Macro panel - View > Studio > Macro.
  • Load the macro by clicking on the Import icon (the last one in the row at the top of the panel). Find where you saved the macro and click to load.
  • Click on the Play Macro icon (the black triangle).
  • As I say, you might want to add a pennant-shaped outline.

John.

This is brilliant!!! Thanks so much!

4 hours ago, sreichenberger said:

Just downloaded Inkscape, @Jowday. Having trouble finding the tool to create perspective text. Any ideas how to go about it?

Search fx youtube for

• inkscape text envelope
  • inkscape text envelope distort

etc.

In another use case you would also like to check out inkscape text perspective