You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

symbols on duplicate master page

I have a group of 11 symbols on a master page in an .afpub doc. I want to duplicate this master page and make changes to the symbols on only the dup master without seeing the changes reflected on the original master page. I tried to select all 11 symbols on the dup master and detach. But how do I get those 11 symbols to sync together as one symbol and 10 instances of that symbol. Thanks

• Staff

Hi dCip :)

On 3/23/2020 at 7:59 AM, dCip said:

how do I get those 11 symbols to sync together as one symbol and 10 instances of that symbol.

My apologies but I'm not sure what you mean by this - could you provide a copy of your document and further explanation/screenshots on what you're looking to achieve? Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I have built a master page in Publisher that has 11 binder rings and a picture frame placeholder for the cover design. The 11 rings are synced symbols. Now I want to make the back cover master page. I can duplicate the cover master page and move the picture frame to the left and the rings  to the right. But all 22 rings are now synced symbols and when I flip the rings horizontally on the back cover master page, the rings on the cover master page also flip. I've managed to unsync the 11 rings on the back cover master page from the cover master.

What would be the most efficient way to resync the 11 rings on the back cover master so that they all work together. If I make one ring a new symbol, how do I sync all of the other 10 rings to the new symbol. Do I need to delete the 10 and drag 10 new instances from the Symbols panel or can I select all 11 rings and sync together somehow. This is for a tutorial series I'm posting, so I want to teach the correct method. Thanks again

Design a Digital Planner in Affinity Suite
https://www.bellaonline.com/article.asp?id=23070

dcipollo.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for that dCip, it's certainly helpful information!

I'm not certain why your symbols are all flipping when using the Flip Horizontal command - as you can move, scale and rotate each symbol independently without affecting the other symbols, unless you have the incorrect layer selected in the Layers Studio?

When using Symbols, each instance of the Symbol is added to a (Symbol) layer, with the contents of the Symbol clipped to this. If you expand the Symbol layer and use the Flip command on the binder ring itself, it will flip all instances of the Symbol. If you select the (Symbol) layer, rather than the actual object, you'll find you're able to Flip as many as you wish and keep all Symbols linked to one master symbol-

image.png

image.png

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)