MikeA

[Fixed] Publisher 1.8.2.620 -- images can't be 'floated' in text in some documents

I'm seeing what looks like a bug in the float-image-with-text feature. For a discussion of it, please see this thread:

I've put together a Publisher file that, on my machine, demonstrates the problem. Because the forum is blocking attachments (at least when I try to upload them) I've put the .afpub file on Google Drive. This is the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bp7H9pihBkyxIFt7Yxn_AByxcYrhA9uD

It's a two-page file. The first page contains information about the problem, which can be — I hope — replicated with objects that are on the second page.

If the Google Drive link doesn't work please let me know and I will upload it to Serif's tech support in email or send it by whatever method Serif would prefer.

Thanks.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Thanks for the file.

I'm curious if you made this file from scratch or if it came from another document? If i'm taking a guess, you copied a text frame from a problem document to demonstrate the issue?

We've had previous issues where if a frame was scaled it was applying that scale to the floating images pinned to it, but those should be resolved now - but it might be something along those lines.

I can get this passed on, it's just curious how it got into this "state" to begin with.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P

>> curious if you made this file from scratch or if it came from another document?

The file uploaded to Google Drive was derived from an existing document but not by copying/pasting the first document's objects into the second one. When I noticed the problem in a document I was working on, I saved it as a new one, calling it "Document-with-text-float-bug.afpub". Then with the new one open, I removed most of its pages, leaving only the one in which I had first seen the problem. Most of the picture frames within the page contained images. Before uploading the file to Drive, I removed all but two of the images and inserted one page at the start to contain the explanatory text. 

>> issues where if a frame was scaled

Do you mean, when it was scaled by pulling its "outermost" handle at lower right — the handle that resizes both the bounding box and the text within the frame? It's possible I had scaled it that way at some point, but — sorry about this — I can't remember now.

I know that embedded images can cause a file's size to swell pretty quickly, but I was a bit surprised by how large this file became, with only two images.

No wait... not two. Checking the Resource Manager, I see three images listed although there are only two visible in the file. Then I realized: the file still contains one of the distorted images. When I click the distorted one in the Layers panel, I can't locate it even when the document is resized so that its pages are very tiny and the screen is mostly a blank grey space. It's in the file somewhere, but I don't know how to locate it.

Thanks for your reply.

Affinity Publisher and Photo 1.8.3 (Windows). Lenovo laptop with decidedly sub-optimal monitor. At least it works.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can have as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Do you mean, when it was scaled by pulling its "outermost" handle at lower right

Yes, but as far as i'm aware (and just checked) that was fixed and still is. I have just noticed if you resize a new text frame with the normal resize handles that I can then reproduce behavior similar to your document when pinning and unpinning

We have this logged (thought it seemed familiar) but I'll give it a nudge, I assume this is what has happened.

Thanks, @Jon P . As it happens you were replying just as I was adding some more text to my own reply — the last two paragraphs of it. I only just now noticed that there are only two images visible in the document, but three shown in both the layers panel and the Resource Manager.

– Anonymous cynic

I only just now noticed that there are only two images visible in the document, but three shown in both the layers panel and the Resource Manager.

Three exist, but one is off any spread and placed at the bottom of the pasteboard. If you go View > View Mode and untick Clip with Canvas, then double click the picture frame that contains the violin man image, you'll see that it focuses a frame off the spread, you can drag this on a spread (or to the side of one) to see what it is.

I assume this possibly came over with the frame or text you copied?

Oh yes. There it is. That distorted image might have come over with the copied material. But it might have ended up there after I'd saved the new file and had begun experimenting with it. In either case I definitely did not deliberately move the distorted image so far away on the pasteboard.

Thanks for the untick-clip-to-canvas suggestion. I hadn't yet looked up the command in the online help.

Perhaps in the future a somewhat easier routine could be devised. For example: right-click an image or picture frame, and the context menu includes "anchor within text." After selecting this and unless you select some other tool or press Esc (whatever!), you then click the text position where you want the image. No more need to move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen to the 'float' control there, then drag the connecting-lines around. The anchored image or picture frame could be un-linked if you right-click it, at which time the context menu includes "unlink from text" or "unfloat from text." I'm a fan of reducing the need to move the mouse all over the screen when it's possible to avoid that. And as someone nagged-at by carpal tunnel at the moment, I'm an especially huge fan of anything that reduces the need to click and drag. (Permit me to hurl silent curses at Logitech for having removed the massively useful "click lock" feature from their mouse software.)

– Anonymous cynic

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Pinning/unpinning to resized frame causes picture to scale by resized amount) of the program in the latest release.

The fixes and how to update are described in these forum posts.

We would appreciate you checking that this issue has now been resolved for you,

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Latest releases on each platform 

As with the right-indent issue, thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. I don't fully understand the float and inline options—I haven't worked with them a lot yet—but it looks to me as if the problems I reported in this post are gone. Thanks again.

– Anonymous cynic