You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macos 10.13 Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 is Defaulting as the Default app for video?

macos 10.13 Affinity Publisher 1.7.3 is Defaulting as the Default app for video?

when/after importing many thousands of video files from professional cinematography cameras, canon, red, etc into macos 10.13 Publisher is defaulting as the application to open the file causing the video to be inoperable?  video used to import fine prior to installing Affinity Publisher

anyone else having this issue?

the video & icon should be defaulting to Quicktime file format & Quicktime icon not Publisher

changing the default application in the 'info' window in the Finder does not help

any ideas?

thank you in advance

incorrect-affinity-publisher-icon.gif

Have you restarted your computer after changing the "Open With" in the get info window. Happened to me once before with other software and this restart usually reset things properly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

i uninstalled Affinity Publisher now the Affinity Photo icon appears instead of Quicktime.

also,
as a test i created a new macos user to access the external media drives & the same thing happened Affinity Photo incorrectly thinks it is one of its files but it is not — these are Camera RED RAW video files

this should be a thumbnail icon of the RED RAW footage

i verified this on two different user operating systems

any ideas?

thank you in advance

i do not want to uninstall Affinity Photo nor do i want to uninstall Affinity Designer

affinity-photo-icon-error.gif.34c4b49e6a752a525c7849187e29a163.gif

Maybe try this:

In Finder, select one of your *.R3D files. Use File > Get Info to open the info window. In the Open with section, choose whatever app you want to be the default for that filetype, then click the "Change All..." button.

If that does not work, the Launch Services database may need to be rebuilt (although it is unusual for this to be necessary in recent macOS versions). More info about the Launch Services database & links to how to rebuild it can be found in various places on the web, like here.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I also would recommend to do so as @R C-R described.

As additional step you could start in safe mode which clears up some caches. How to use safe mode is described here.

If safe mode doesn't help, it also may help to clear the icon services cache of mac OS. Some time ago I had a similar problem and got mac OS back to work with a paid tool called TinkerTool System. Here is the site of the manual, which describes what it means to clear icon caches. Please scroll down to the section "Icon Caches".

Affinity Photo V2.3.0 | Affinity Designer V2.3.0 | Affinity Publisher V2.3.0

Mac Studio M2 Ultra | 128 GB RAM | 1 TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.6 | EIZO CS2740 4K UHD
MacBook Pro Retina, 15", Mitte 2015 | 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | 512 GB SSD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6

@^-^ As is stated by Kaffeepause the safe mode may help. I keep forgetting about that. I have no experience with the utility he mentions so I can't comment on that.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 2:57 PM, Old Bruce said:

Have you restarted your computer after changing the "Open With" in the get info window. Happened to me once before with other software and this restart usually reset things properly.

thank you for your advise, bruce & kaffeepause & rc-r  :)

i'll work on this after i finish an editing project im on.   i havent reinstalled Publisher & stopped using Designer until film editing project is finished.

i dumped the finder cache ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.finder/Cache.db, Cache.db-shm, Cache.db-wal

'safe mode' -> https://www.victorfoto.com/tutorials/e_osx_vf/e_osx_vf.html

thanks again  :)