You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to keep the active area in the center of the zoom all the time in affinity photo

G'day all.

To save time,  I was wondering does anyone knows How to keep the active area in the center of the zoom all the time in affinity photo?

For instance,  if I was working in the bottom corner at 25% and I want to zoom in at 500%, I have to find the area where I was working. The zoom seam to zoom fro the center of the document all the time. 

Thanks 

Greg 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Select the Zoom tool and place the magnifier where you want to zoom and click Approx 8 times, you can see how much zoom has been applied at the side of the file name at the very top of the Affinity Photo window.

Don’t use the right click percentages option to zoom you will end up zoomed in to the centre of the document.

Also press and hold Option/Alt (on windows) will allow you to draw a marquee to zoom into. The magnifier icon changes to a zoom out icon  1552528307_zoom_lightuiOUT.png.604e448281289f50120d1789a330efc0.pngtemporarily but then changes to a zoom in icon 183715250_zoom_lightuiIN.png.deb82217b9a69e39b5feec11966ab764.png as you draw the marquee

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Here's how it behaves in Windows. Don't know how it behaves on the Mac.

Mostly I zoom with Ctrl-MouseWheel with my selected tool hovering over the point I'm interested in. The image zooms to that point while maintaining the relative position of the point and the tool within the window. It does not move that point to the center of the window.

You can pan quickly by pressing Spacebar to activate the View (Hand) tool, but be careful as there is a bug in the Windows version that fails to return to the correct icon for the currently active tool when you release the Spacebar.

So, if you are hovering over the bottom corner and use Ctrl-MouseWheel to zoom to that point then your active area will still be in the bottom corner of the window. 

I've seen posts from a couple of years ago that claims Alt-MouseWheel works also, but that is not my experience.

If you go to Edit/Preferences/Tools the Preferences dialog includes a checkbox that says "Use mouse wheel to zoom". Checking that causes the mousewheel to zoom and Ctrl-MouseWheel to scroll. I leave it unchecked .                                                                            

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

6 hours ago, Granddaddy said:

Here's how it behaves in Windows. Don't know how it behaves on the Mac.

Mostly I zoom with Ctrl-MouseWheel with my selected tool hovering over the point I'm interested in. The image zooms to that point while maintaining the relative position of the point and the tool within the window. It does not move that point to the center of the window.

You can pan quickly by pressing Spacebar to activate the View (Hand) tool, but be careful as there is a bug in the Windows version that fails to return to the correct icon for the currently active tool when you release the Spacebar.

So, if you are hovering over the bottom corner and use Ctrl-MouseWheel to zoom to that point then your active area will still be in the bottom corner of the window. 

I've seen posts from a couple of years ago that claims Alt-MouseWheel works also, but that is not my experience.

If you go to Edit/Preferences/Tools the Preferences dialog includes a checkbox that says "Use mouse wheel to zoom". Checking that causes the mousewheel to zoom and Ctrl-MouseWheel to scroll. I leave it unchecked .                                                                            

Thanks for this tip mate 

Greg