You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colour Wheel & Masks Greyness Sliders

Hi In 1.8.3.175 there is an annoying issue when a greyscale mask is introduced, the greyness sliders take priority over the other colour adjustments when you select a normal layer. The only way that I have found to stop this is to unlock the greyness sliders, then lock the RGB sliders, then change to the colour wheel...the problem is that you need to go through this cycle at least twice before the colour wheel stays when you swap layers 🤔

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, Murfee said:

Hi In 1.8.3.175 there is an annoying issue when a greyscale mask is introduced, the greyness sliders take priority over the other colour adjustments when you select a normal layer. The only way that I have found to stop this is to unlock the greyness sliders, then lock the RGB sliders, then change to the colour wheel...the problem is that you need to go through this cycle at least twice before the colour wheel stays when you swap layers 🤔

Yes, this stuff (like so much of the apps as you dig deeper into them) doesn't seem to be well designed for efficient workflow in the hands of professionals for whom time is money. Either that, or good specifications are being wrongly implemented in feature after feature.

• Staff
On 3/22/2020 at 10:16 AM, Murfee said:

If I've understood correctly, this is the automatic switch over to the greyscale box colour model whenever you select a mask layer? (And the subsequent annoyance it can cause when trying to perform colour manipulations on other layers)

I believe it's easier to fall foul of this on Mac because there's a UI issue—whenever an enclosure layer is created (e.g. new mask layer, live filter layer) it doesn't appear to be selected on the Layers panel UI, thus you naturally click it again to ensure it's highlighted. In doing so, you "reselect" the mask layer, and this breaks the toggle back to the previous colour model you may have been using.

Whenever you add a mask layer, try selecting another layer type that isn't a mask without clicking again to actively highlight that mask layer. You should hopefully find that it toggles back to the previous colour model.

This tends to be less of an issue on Windows, since the Windows UI correctly highlights an enclosure layer when it's added. The layer is still technically active on Mac (so you can paint on/off the mask) but is not reflected in the UI.

I've also noted an inconsistency with the lock colourspace feature and the way it interacts with the model switching.

Is this the correct issue you're referring to, or is there another behaviour?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Hi @James Ritson, thanks for explaining this, yes this is exactly the issue I was having. I have been so busy with other things for the last few weeks that I haven’t had chance to use any of the Affinity apps. 

I hope that this problem gets sorted for the 1.9 betas that are hopefully due out soon 😀

Hi @Chris B, apologies for not responding sooner, James has described the issue perfectly, I hope that you can follow his steps to recreate the issue, I doubt that my internet connection will cope with uploading a video 😀

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.