You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcut bug - keyboard confusion

Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 EN with a french keyboard (yes, this is a legitimate setup 🙂 ). All my software is in English, including AP. At the top of the french keyboard, the keys from 1 to 0 are actually & é " ' ( - è _ ç à . Numbers are on the same keys but accessed via the Shift modifier. When defining a keyboard shortcut, all the & é " ' ( - è _ ç à keys are wrongly recognized as 1, 2...0. The two rightmost keys ) and = are OK. This leads to trouble. Let's take an example...

On the french keyboard [ and ] are not easily accessible. So, I decided to replace them with ( and ) to control the brush size. But while ) is correctly recognized and actually increases the brush size, ( is recognized as 5 and doesn't work (actually it triggers the "set global opacity" function).

I guess this is because AP assumes that I'm using an English keyboard.

However, there is no problem when entering text in the application itself.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey Samoreen,

I think this is because 5 (or the left bracket on a FR keyboard) is a global shortcut for 50% opacity. The key with the right bracket is at the far right of the FR keyboard which is the equivalent of - on a UK keyboard which isn't mapped to anything that I can see.

Out of curiosity, if the app language is in FR, does it still happen? I don't have access to a FR keyboard to test.

Hi Chris,

> Out of curiosity, if the app language is in FR, does it still happen? I don't have access to a FR keyboard to test.

This doesn't make any difference.

On the french keyboard ( and ) are not shifted keys and all digit keys are shifted. It's the contrary on the UK keyboard : ( and ) are shifted and digits are not. So I think that the problem is that the keyboard shortcut manager uses a wrong mapping for this row of keys. Otherwise I wouldn't get a 5 when hitting ( . I obtain exactly the same result when switching to the UK keyboard driver under Windows.

You can test the french keyboard under Windows by attaching the french keyboard driver to a hot key. Please find attached the french keyboard map.

French_kbd.jpg

--Patrick

Also, note that if I hit the ")" key in the keyboard shortcut manager (without depressing SHIFT), I don't get the "°" character but the actual ")" as expected. This is not consistent with the fact that I get a "5" when hitting "(" without depressing SHIFT. Another indication that the mapping used is partially wrong.

--Patrick