You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Custom Vignette Trick - Affinity Photo Tutorial

@Multi4G  this is really wonderful!  So clever.  Thank you so very much.  Just what I needed for some “once upon a time . .” stories!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 7 months later...

@Multi4G  I have been trying very unsuccessfully for several hours to achieve this effect, and have now given up.   Each time I follow the steps exactly, and on the screen the image with the new vignette looks perfect.   But then when I try to print the image, I get a dark rectangle superimposed on the image (per the attached).   Can you give me a clue to why this is not working?   I did it perfectly using Photo v. 1.8.3, but yesterday upgraded to v. 1.8.4.   Think that is the problem? (Images were printed, then scanned then converted to JPGs.  Sorry they are so fuzzy.)

1134022112_leavesscan.jpg.77561af091bfee961ae4e000fb1aef42.jpg

1864572345_horsesscan.thumb.jpg.051f4bb9948cab99352ad3fc2a310d2a.jpg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

I've never tried this method to create vignettes - nor do I mess about with printers (I find the whole experience painful...ha!), but if I didn't know better I would say that the adjustment layer is smaller than the image size. The effect I'm seeing is exactly the same if that were the case. Have you tried checking the move tool on the vignette layer in question to see whether the bounding box covers the entire image?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

17 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

I've never tried this method to create vignettes - nor do I mess about with printers (I find the whole experience painful...ha!), but if I didn't know better I would say that the adjustment layer is smaller than the image size. The effect I'm seeing is exactly the same if that were the case. Have you tried checking the move tool on the vignette layer in question to see whether the bounding box covers the entire image?

Thank you for your suggestion.  Yes, I did try and yes, the bounding box was smaller than the image, but if I drag the bounding box to fit the image, the vignette also stretches beyond the chosen size and shape.  In Olivio’s video the thumbnail for the shape layer indicates that it is on a transparent background (tiny checkerboard effect in the thumbnail).  He definitely places his shape well within the inside of his image, and the shape layer retains its transparent thumbnail.   My thumbnail for the shape layer shows a solid background.   I am really stumped. 

Were the images rasterised and cropped before printing?

If the image wasn't cropped and still existed outside of the canvas, would that be included in the printable file?

Outside of that idea - I'm with you, stumped.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

If I were you I would put your question to Olivio on his YouTube channel. There's more chance that he will see it and offer a reply - he uploads every week so he'll definitely see it.

I've just followed all the steps in the tutorial and can report that the layer arrangement and settings do not reflect what happens in his video.

3 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Were the images rasterised and cropped before printing?

If the image wasn't cropped and still existed outside of the canvas, would that be included in the printable file?

Outside of that idea - I'm with you, stumped.

The images were rasterized and not cropped.  However, I had a brainstorm 🤯 (mumble, mumble - brain working on one cylinder) and just checked to see if it will work.   The thing works as outlined in the video tutorial IF one then exports the finished product to JPG (didn't try PNG) and then places the image back into a new file in Photo.    Not too heavy a price to pay, if one is fiddling with various and sundry super-clever effects.   Herewith an example.  I hauled the odd shape out at random.  Not intended to be a real effort, but just an experiment. 😋   Under the circumstances I don't think I will try to reach Olivio.   He probably has lots of other things to do.   

Thank you so much for trying to help me!!!

J  

170553902_MonticelloMay73wvignette.jpg.4f19e9036272009743d310fee2dbf238.jpg 

@AffinityJules  I have also discovered that if you want to change the shape with the node tool to create an unusual effect, you must do it before you drag the shape layer down below the grouped Levels Adjustment layer.  It takes some fiddling to do this with the image blocked by the shape, but it works!  Example - very unprofessionally done, but the procedure works!   Yea'a'a'a'ay.419654999_horseswithvignette.thumb.jpg.dfa28015bb05fced4b592da3e5323ce7.jpg  

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

"Under the circumstances I don't think I will try to reach Olivio.   He probably has lots of other things to do."

Good for you in sorting that out to a workable file.

As regards to Olivio, he's very approachable and won't stop talking once you get him started!! I've chatted with him many times on his live streams - and on Ytube. I'm sure when he sees the comment you left here he will reply. 😃   

170553902_MonticelloMay73wvignette.jpg.4f19e9036272009743d310fee2dbf238.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 7:32 PM, jmwellborn said:

@Multi4G  I have been trying very unsuccessfully for several hours to achieve this effect, and have now given up.   Each time I follow the steps exactly, and on the screen the image with the new vignette looks perfect.   But then when I try to print the image, I get a dark rectangle superimposed on the image (per the attached).   Can you give me a clue to why this is not working?   I did it perfectly using Photo v. 1.8.3, but yesterday upgraded to v. 1.8.4.   Think that is the problem? (Images were printed, then scanned then converted to JPGs.  Sorry they are so fuzzy.)

1134022112_leavesscan.jpg.77561af091bfee961ae4e000fb1aef42.jpg

1864572345_horsesscan.thumb.jpg.051f4bb9948cab99352ad3fc2a310d2a.jpg

Looks like a compositing bug in Affinity.

You don't need a Group, anyway, so try without a Group: simply clip-nest (not mask-nest) the Erase mode object inside the Adjustment.

Thank you @Anon.   I will try the whole thing over again today.  Really mind — on principle — being stymied by 1’s and 0’s! 

@Anon  Bingo!  Worked perfectly per your excellent advice.   I duplicated the pixel image, left out the Group stuff, dragged a shape I had made and saved as an asset, made it a child layer of the duplicate image layer, set the blend mode of the shape layer to Erase, then added a Levels Adjustment layer as a child layer to the duplicate image layer, adjusted the Output White Level, then highlighted the child Shape layer, and added the Gaussian Blur.  Done.  No fuss, no muss, no bother.  You have saved my joie de vivre.

Looks the same when printed.  Herewith, the experiment as testimony.  Thank you!

horses_with_gradient.thumb.jpg.71b765574ac3d1d7ba1983280f8962af.jpg   

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

@Anon  Bingo!  Worked perfectly per your excellent advice.   I duplicated the pixel image, left out the Group stuff, dragged a shape I had made and saved as an asset, made it a child layer of the duplicate image layer, set the blend mode of the shape layer to Erase, then added a Levels Adjustment layer as a child layer to the duplicate image layer, adjusted the Output White Level, then highlighted the child Shape layer, and added the Gaussian Blur.  Done.  No fuss, no muss, no bother.  You have saved my joie de vivre.

Looks the same when printed.  Herewith, the experiment as testimony.  Thank you!   

I'm glad you got the result you wanted but your method was more complicated than my suggestion. There was no need to duplicate the image. I said to simply make the Erase mode shape a clip-nested child of the adjustment layer.

horses.thumb.png.f52097ea0a2fc71fea8a66c6bcdfb3b0.png

@anon2  Your method is much better!  I had been following the often-repeated advice in other posts in these forums to always duplicate the background layer, just in case.   I shall now throw caution to the winds!!

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

I had been following the often-repeated advice in other posts in these forums to always duplicate the background layer, just in case.

You only need a duplicate if you’re destructively editing the image. ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

You only need a duplicate if you’re destructively editing the image. ;)

🥴 In that case, I should always duplicate.  You have no idea how destructively I can maul any image within seconds!   😈