You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inverted selections when the original selection is done with soft edges chosen

Have just watched James Ritson's very recently published official video on the Selection Brush, when used with Soft Edges.  As usual, he does an excellent                                                                 presentation, thorough and easy to follow. Nevertheless, I note that in the video at the beginning he makes a selection of the sky.  Later on, he makes a                                                                       separate selection of the foreground.  No mention is made of why he did not invert the selection.  My guess is that an inverted selection would not work as                                                                 well because of the anti-aliasing done.  Am I correct in thinking this please?  Am not certain at all.

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

For everyone to look at this is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip6wjOfe-xs

Making masks for the sky and land individually (i.e. don’t just invert the sky selection) leaves a line between the masks when both are enabled, making a selection of the sky, creating a mask and then inverting the sky selection leaves a finer line. so I think both methods are valid.

The content of the image is a big variable, it’s easy to mask a clear bright sky against a dark land mass but selecting a sky against a deciduous autumn tree would probably render soft edges redundant. Might try that later to see how it fairs.

Image used
1290964362_ScreenShot2020-03-21at07_24_37.thumb.png.05e32f3b1cf240f87f29fff3c603553f.png

1439745784_ScreenShot2020-03-21at07_25_41.thumb.png.fd1e249d2cacc69776c66fd9887017a4.png

366560537_ScreenShot2020-03-21at07_24_08.thumb.png.75a7f6aaf5857fb1e6b0e32ebaf1d61e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Yes, as you say firstdefence, there does not seem to be much difference between the two methods. This apart from two instances in the upper image, one of which the line is not present briefly and in the second case, where the line is fainter (third dip from the right hand side).

Did you use soft edges in the former image (ie masks created individually) please?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

6 hours ago, Jaffa said:

Did you use soft edges in the former image (ie masks created individually) please?

Yes, in all instances I used soft edges. With regard to that obvious blip, I think that might have more to do with my selection observation than a failure of the soft edges option.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions