Is there any reason that Affinity software doesn't have the traditional Revert menu item (File)?

I suspect somone will probably say 'Just use the Open Recent menu item', but that won't work, as it won't let you load something that is already loaded.  So, at this point, you have to close the project and then load the most recent project file.  Not a huge issue, but why not just have the Revert menu item like other programs?

You can back up through the undo history using the History panel.

Thinking about it, it would be kind of nice if the panel had an icon next to the step where the document was last saved...

True enough... although, why not also have the Revert menu item?  It's weird how Affinity is leaving out things like this, seemingly for no reason or benefit.

The history thing would work, but a Revert menu item (or button or whatever) would be even easier.

Interesting idea you have about the 'marker' in the list, where the last save occurred.  That actually would provide even more benefit than a Revert menu item, as it would show you what all changed since your last save.  Good idea!

Affinity Store: Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 1.8.5.703.
Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2, Build 19042.610.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080.
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200.

As an Affinity Photo user, I agree it would be great to have an actual Revert feature, either as a menu item or easily accessible in some other way. Putting a "saved" marker in the History would be good but  still wouldn't be enough in my opinion. If one wanted to go back in the History prior to the marker to try some edits, then changed his/her mind and wanted to revert to the saved version, wouldn't the marker be gone at that point, and the person would have to settle for closing and reopening the document? Maybe there's something I'm missing with that scenario. But it seems like a Revert option would be the way to go in certain cases.

Yep...  I think the history thing is actually a great idea/feature... but certainly there should be no harm in ALSO having the standard Revert menu option as well.  A quick and easy 'reset' for when you suddenly realize something has gone terribly wrong.  Certainly, the history list could be used (and one could argue it gives more control.... sure enough)... but, on the other hand, the classic Revert is quick and familiar, too.

You should check out the Snapshots panel. Available in Photo and Designer.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.6

Affinity Designer 1.9.2 | Affinity Photo 1.9.2 | Affinity Publisher 1.9.2 | Beta versions as they appear.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

You should check out the Snapshots panel. Available in Photo and Designer.

Thanks, Old Bruce! That's a great panel I didn't know about. While I still think a Revert feature might be helpful in its own right, Snapshots allows way more flexibility and stages to be able to "revert" to at any time, even after the document's been closed and reopened! Powerful stuff. I'd still be happy to see a Revert feature come into play, but definitely not at the expense of Snapshots! Thanks for pointing it out. Amazing.

Agreed, but these kinds of features are great for when you INTENTIONALLY want to go back to a particular point (...and, intentionally create that snapshot at that point).  All good...

But, the benefit of the Revert feature is that you didn't have to set a snapshot (in anticipation, perhaps, of things going wrong with the upcoming actions you planned).  You just go back to the previously saved (and therefore 'safe') version... rather than actively creating snapshots before the disaster.  (...Unless I'm missing something here)

Again, the history features ARE great... No arguement there.  It would just be nice to have the traditional Revert feature... as sometimes, when you are deep into your project, and on a roll, you may forget to create snapshots.  Granted, you can scroll through the history, and (hopefully) find the point where things went wrong... but that's not always going to be obvious... and even if it were a simple matter of scrolling up to the very top (...with the assumption that the history starts after the last save?), then it could still be argued that hitting 'Revert' is still easier.

Have both, since the history/snapshot systems ARE definitely very usesful, and certainly powerful tools.

Yes, as ladlon explained very well, a Revert feature would indeed have a welcome place in the software, even with the History and Snapshots still in full swing.

So does this PS Revert menu command throw away, so to speak, all the changes, adjustments, filters, everything you've done, restores it back to like it was when you first opened it?

IF so, then in AP,  creating a duplicate of your Background Layer, when you first open it, and then hiding it, so it does not affect anything you're working on, would get the same results, if you delete all layers above it. You're back to square one, the file just when you opened it. I mention it, because a lot of the tutorials I've watched for AP, the tutor makes it point to do that, so if things get messed up, they can easily start all over from scratch, ie; revert.

Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.9.2.1005); Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

56 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

So does this PS Revert menu command throw away, so to speak, all the changes, adjustments, filters, everything you've done, restores it back to like it was when you first opened it?

No, it restores it to the way it was when you last opened it (i.e. its last saved state). So if you load an image, apply some filters and adjustments, save the image and then do some further work on it, ‘Revert’ will take you back to where you were after the first bunch of filters and adjustments. In other words, the outcome is exactly the same as if you close the document without saving, and then reopen the last saved version.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows 1.9.1 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.9.1 • Designer for iPad 1.9.1 • iPadOS 14.4.2 (iPad Air 2)

21 hours ago, Alfred said:

No, it restores it to the way it was when you last opened it (i.e. its last saved state). So if you load an image, apply some filters and adjustments, save the image and then do some further work on it, ‘Revert’ will take you back to where you were after the first bunch of filters and adjustments. In other words, the outcome is exactly the same as if you close the document without saving, and then reopen the last saved version.

Ok, I can see where that would be useful.

Thanks Alfred.

Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.9.2.1005); Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD