You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Patch tool not working with pen

I use Affinity Photo with the pen on a Lenovo A940 touchscreen. Since the update to 1.8 the patch tool does not work any more with the pen. After drawing the selection and moving to the source, it behaves normally until I click to apply the source. Instead of applying the source the selection is lost, so nothing changes. I can get around this only when I apply the source with the mouse instead of the pen. This is pretty cumbersome, and I would appreciate to get this fixed. 

I can confirm this using my Wacom Intuos 3.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks, Ron and Michail.

I suspected already windows ink may have something to do with it and had disabled the options in the pen control panel. I disabled windows ink now completely in the local group policy editor and restarted the PC. Unfortunately it still does not work. I then disabled the app suggestions in the policy editor as well, but still the same. I checked again both settings are disabled indeed, but strangely the windows ink workspace in the toolbar is still visible and still works. I fiddled around again with the pen control panel settings, but nothing works. I need to mention I had no problem before the 1.8 update, so it seems related to a change that was made in Affinity Photo. Still, I hope Wacom tablet users can fix the issue by deactivating windows ink.

57 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Did you disable Windows Ink in Affinity Photo? Go to Preferences > Tools and disable 'Use Windows Ink for tablet input'. 

Thanks for the tip, Chris!
It works for me now. I didn't know that option yet. Does deactivation mean less precision now?

Yep, disabling Windows Ink worked.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 4 months later...

I just updated Affinity Photo 1.8.4. on my Lenovo A940, and the issue which started this thread is back: the source for the patch tool is not applied when I use the pen. Disabling the ink tool solved this, but unfortunately, this option is no longer available - at least I did not see this.  To keep me working reinstalled the previous version, but if 1.8.4 can be made working I would appreciate to know how.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, artcare said:

I just updated Affinity Photo 1.8.4. on my Lenovo A940, and the issue which started this thread is back: the source for the patch tool is not applied when I use the pen. Disabling the ink tool solved this, but unfortunately, this option is no longer available - at least I did not see this.  To keep me working reinstalled the previous version, but if 1.8.4 can be made working I would appreciate to know how.

I skipped 1.8.4, but in 1.8.5 Preferences->Tools->Tablet Input Method has options Low Precision, High Precision and Windows Ink.

Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately, the patch tool still does not work with the pen with any of these three settings. I deinstalled 1.8.5 as well and reverted to 1.8.3. Hope there will be a sulution which re-establishes the functionality of 1.8.3