You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I recently upgraded to AP 1.8.2 (on a Mac Mini, OS 10.13.6).

I find that the color selection panel is locked in the slider format. if I unlock it, I am able to change it to a color wheel (my preferred format) but only temporarily: when I leave the color panel and then return back to it, it reverts to locked sliders. Same thing happens every time I open a new document. This did not happen in 1.7.3

How can I permanently  unlock the panel so I can move freely between formats or at least lock it as a wheel? I have found no help regarding this either in the forums or by searching in Google.

Thanks,

Mauricio

Hi Garry,

See screenshots attached

Screenshot 01: color panel when application is launched (color space is HSL, locked)

Screenshot 02: I changed the color space changed to RBG

Screenshot 03: I changed the sliders changed to wheel

Screenshot 04: adding a mask, changes the color panel from wheel to sliders AND grayscale without mi intervention

Every time I have to change the settings. Even if I lock it,  it changes back.

My desire is: always remain in RGB, always remain as a color wheel.

What can I do? If this is not resolved I will need to uninstall 1.8.2 and go back to 1.7.3

Thanks,

Mauricio

Screen Shot03.png

Screen Shot02.png

Screen Shot01.png

Screen Shot04.png

Thanks for the screenshots but they don’t really show us what is happening.
A video (or animated GIF) of the whole application running will show us what is going on so we can compare what is happening for you with what happens for us.
If you give us a video showing the process as it happens we can advise better.

On 3/20/2020 at 6:07 PM, qaman333 said:

How can I permanently  unlock the panel so I can move freely between formats or at least lock it as a wheel?

I have the same problem Mauricio, the only way that I have found to lock the colour wheel is to lock the RGB sliders and change to the wheel then jump between the layer & mask a few times, eventually it will stick. This is ever since they introduced the greyscale for masking... something that I feel was an unnecessary change as it was fine before. 

@GarryP, this is possibly a Mac problem.

Hi Callum,

A video would show nothing different than the screenshots and the explanation already included in my 1st posting. I will include them again, just in case.

My only way to do a recording would be through my cell phone.

Please, please do not tell me this behavior is a "feature" !!!!

Screenshot 01: color panel when application is launched (color space is HSL, locked)

Screenshot 02: I changed the color space changed to RBG

Screenshot 03: I changed the sliders changed to wheel

Screenshot 04: adding a mask, changes the color panel from wheel to sliders AND grayscale without mi intervention

Every time I have to change the settings. Even if I lock it,  it changes back.

My desire is: always remain in RGB, always remain as a color wheel.

Screen Shot01.png

Screen Shot02.png

Screen Shot03.png

Screen Shot04.png

2 hours ago, qaman333 said:

This is the result of a change in the 1.8 versions. Now, when switching to a mask layer the color panel automatically changes to grayscale mode. I think this was done to make it more obvious that a mask is an alpha transparency channel, not a color channel, so it has no color & only uses greyness as a proxy for transparency/opacity.

That would be fine IF it only effected the color panel when a mask was selected, so that the Color panel revered to its prior state (both for the colors of its small color selector circles & its display mode) whenever a mask was not selected, but that is not how it works now.

Also, since a mask is a single channel with only an opacity/transparency attribute, it makes no sense to have separate Gray & Opacity sliders, or to have that box between them at all, much less as it is with something other than a uniform left-to-right black-to-white gradient.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 months later...

Hi, I experience the same.
With digital painting I use the Color Wheel. And I use masking a lot for quick help during my proces. But when selecting the mask my color picker changes to Grayscale sliders. But they don't change back when I continue painting on a "normal" layer. It stays with the sliders, and I have to manually change it back to the color wheel. Doing this several (read a lot) of times during a painting proces it very time consuming (and frustrating). Please fix this 🙏  (or make the Coolorus plug in available ;-))