You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF-export issue - poor quality images / distorted image

I have a serious issue with the pdf-export from AD (as well as from AP). When I export my (rather large) image, the result seems to be heavy compressed though AD is set to not do so (see Screenshots). Do export the same file from AP, the image ist nice crisp and sharp, but the curves (Outlines) get rastered too an there is the bug of the not matching alpha channel which experienced already two years ago too...

Designer Version 1.8.0.526 / Photo Version 1.8.1.604

This is the image in AD (left) and the exported PDF (right)AD-PDF-export.thumb.jpg.e04ed92b860796ed51921eec9862418c.jpg

Here the same file exported from AP, note the by far higher image quality (this is how it should look like) using the same export settings:AP-PDF-export-1.thumb.jpg.f995ca0cc33ccce256f1c06f5375fd84.jpg

That's the not matching alpha channel in the exported pdf from AP:
AP-PDF-export-2.thumb.jpg.cda73ade34011da26eb71cd89c094d57.jpg

Meanwhile I discovered the following:

1. The quality settings are respected as soon as I rastered the image to get rid of the mask layer. But then the Image gets distorted in the same way the alpha channel (resp the mask layer) did. A check of the file in Photo showed the alpha channel is correct in size and position.

2. The image doesn't distort as long as there is no transparency. I grouped the image with a white background layer, rastered them and exported with the same settings as before an the exported image is OK in terms of quality as well as size/position. Even with the lines vector layers erverything is fine except I can't esport with transparent background (what I need to).

I'd really like to check the problem in AD 1.8.2. but I simply dont't get the installer working.
System: Win10pro | i9-9900X | 64Gb RAM | 3 x RTX2080

Well it's getting more and more funny: I just tried to resize the document to eliminate some areas containing only white at top and bottom and set the size in hight from 16.000px to 14.000px, but the only thing that happend was: the layers just moved upwards, the document itself stayed at 16.000px hight. I even set the value to 10.000px and the document stayed at 16.000px. The guidelines end at 10.000px though. the exported image was also (correct) cut at 10.000px.AD-resize.thumb.jpg.5d3a64ebf7733a16812d9e333908de60.jpg

edit: I now managed to get Designer 1.8.2 installed. Downloaded again and tried, eventually it did install. Document resizing now works correct but the transparency issue persists. So the thread could be moved to Designer Bug Forum.

Thanks for your support. I uploaded the file to your Dropbox.
The JPG-Compression option takes only effect if there is an JPG in the file, am I right? If there is only an imported PNG in the file, there will be no compression regarding this setting?

• Staff

Can you post a screenshot of what PDF export settings you're using? I've tried using the ones above, but that doesn't give me the Transparency issue shown above.

With regards to JPG compression that specifically relates to any objects that get rasterised on output due to incompatibility.

• Staff

Those seem to be exporting out ok for me (using 1.8.2.620) to PDF still - viewed in both PDF XChange Viewer and also in Acrobat Pro. See attached. Do other PDF viewers (such as Chrome, Edge, Acrobat Reader) give the same results?

PDFXChange.JPG

Acrobat.JPG

I think, your Acrobat reader is just not set to display transparancy.  I realised the vector layer wasn't activated in the file. Have you checked the Image quality in the result? It should look this way:

pdf-export-quality.thumb.jpg.3d2c67466e95c423792a3d0b95383c23.jpg

If your PDF file is the size of about 6MB it's likely that all the details are gone.

• Staff

Still not able to reproduce it from my end. This is the results after I made the group visible and also changed the curve layers blend mode from 'Multiply' to 'Normal' - the blend mode was causing the lines to get rasterised.

Both Acrobat and PDF-XChange are still displaying them correctly.

Acrobat.JPG

PDFXChange.JPG

Acrobat2.JPG

PDFXChange2.JPG

• Staff
26 minutes ago, maxen said:

Could you zoom to the back of one of the men? The word "DORNIER" should be clearly readable.

Unfortunately it is not - however I'm using the document you supplied (with the changes mentioned above) and the settings shown in your screenshot, so I don't understand why you would be getting a different resolution export.

Man.JPG

I assume, you don't actually get the quality I need. This is how it should look like:
AD-PDF-export-quality.jpg.f6e42c7faab94ff95281ab5dc60cc7c3.jpg
As soon as I activate the mask and try to export with transparency the quality drops. The filze then is about 6MB, without transparency and quality as seen above about 35MB.
AD-PDF-export-quality-transparency.jpg.7fee07e8edc67d905f38ca2d9251d006.jpg
Here the export of the identic file with masked image and background transparency.

I think what's happening is: If you have a vector mask, the image gets rastered before export. There is no option to set the quality for that and oviously the default value is set very low. If you raster the masked image to create an apha channel, the same probem occurs as with the png - you need 32bit/px instead of 24. So during export AD creates an alpha channel of 32767px width and that gets stretched to the full 40.000px in the pdf. Don't know if that's makes any sense, but it's the only explanation I could find, because all these funny things stop as soon as you go below that magic mark of 32767px.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.