You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.8.2 Blacks

Bryce

Affinity Designer corrected a bug/preference.

When a document is setup as CMYK and US Web Coated and you click black in the swatch (any blacks) it should be mixed in the sliders with "K" only. This is how Designer works and is correct now that 1.8 came out.

I notice that if I select the same thing in Publisher it will do a RGB conversion of blacks and make a value of all four colors, which is incorrect behavior.

thanks!

Bryce

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

When a document is setup as CMYK and US Web Coated and you click black in the swatch (any blacks) it should be mixed in the sliders with "K" only. This is how Designer works and is correct now that 1.8 came out.

The swatches in the standard Grays palette are still 4-color in Designer 1.8.2 on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 3/20/2020 at 3:40 PM, Bryce said:

it should be mixed in the sliders with "K" only. This is how Designer works and is correct now that 1.8 came out.

Are you sure about the correct behavior in ADesigner?

To me the Black swatches work the same both in APub and Designer – both with a confusing default "Greys" Palette in CMYK documents.
Only the default Black swatch next to "none" (in the group of 4) is defined as CMYK (= K only).

280831158_blacks1.jpg.bd1c031fb2942651805b128c57e4a1d7.jpg

Whereas the Greys Palette is defined as RGB.

2057373420_blacks2.jpg.062a1fecf536c7b1e3250e7a011f88e3.jpg

To detect the real color mode of a swatch do not have activated the lock icon in Colors Panel before selecting a swatch.

322468832_blacks3.jpg.b5e4102f7b0f2f929f00e1981ea5bea6.jpg

Unfortunately in this Affinity default palette neither the swatch name (in list view) nor the pop-up tooltip informs about the color mode of a swatch.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I assume that you see in Designer the default black of the greys palette as 100 K might be a different issue in the UI. For instance I get in the colors panel a 4-c black but when double-clicking the swatch in swatches panel it appears as a 100 K black, which turns to a 4-c black when I change the pulldown selector from CMYK to any other and then back to CMYK.

This UI issue is known and logged already:

Note: To detect what color mode your greys palette really is you need to de-activate the lock in the colors panel. (activated: the icons background is darker).

You can replace your greys palette by a CMYK one, posted by stokerg (serif):

p.s.: I don't understand what to see/check in your newspaper screenshot. In case it should show a 100 K black it needs to be saved as CMYK image, not RGB.

The newspaper screenshot was put in by accident and It wouldn't let me delete it.

As for the other palletes, I'm not sure what what you are talking about de-activating. 

I just see that it works right in Designer but not in Publisher - even the same file. Are you thinking the pallete was already replaced in Designer and that's why it works? Is there a minor preference that is changing this?

thanks!

"The newspaper screenshot was put in by accident and It wouldn't let me delete it."
–> Click on "Edit" under that post and delete the image from below your post (where it appears separately amongst other images and every shows a garbage bin icon).

"Lock" icon: it is placed in the Colors Panel, next to the pulldown menu. If you click it its slightly darker background color will switch to 'normal'. (UI issue: the icon doesn't show an opened lock). With de-activated lock you see a selected color swatch in its original color mode. Notice: only a swatch which was saved in CMYK can produce a 100 K black.

I can't tell what exactly made the black in your default greys palette appear different in APub towards Designer. Possibly just this swatch got edited before. However, to be sure to use a greys palette with K-only tints I recommend you to delete the currently existing greys palette and import the "True Greys (CMYK)"-palette as application palette.

Unfortunately the swatches in the new palette aren't named differently, so to avoid later confusion you might replace the palette from all your Affinity apps once you replaced it in one.

1 hour ago, Bryce said:

- even the same file.

The default greys palette is an application palette. So, if you open a document which is using this swatch (with an identical name), it shows its color mode and definition according to the used application.