You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change License Key

Hello, I have Affinity Designer on my laptop which was bought for me by my employer. I have now left that job but want to keep Affinity Designer for personal use, so I have just purchased myself a new license key. However I cannot figure out how to change the licence key stored in the product? I have tried uninstalling and re-installing designer but it seems to have remembered the old key and didn't ask me for a key at the end of the re-install. What should I do? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi @Magicsophicorn,

Welcome to the forum

If you delete the licence.xml file from the following location then the next time you start Designer you will be asked to enter your Email address and product key

Mac 

/Users/<username>/Library/Group Containers/6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs/

Windows

C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer\

On a Windows 10 machine, the licence.xml file is located here (for each module):

Affinity Photo:
C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\licence.xml

Affinity Publisher:
C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\licence.xml

Affinity Designer:
C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Designer\1.0\licence.xml

Notes:

• You can either delete that file or edit it
  • If you chose to edit the file and replace the old key/email with the new key/email, don’t forget to remove the hyphen (or dash) in the registration key that you copied from the Affinity Store
  • If you deleted the file, the next time you run the software, it will ask you to enter your email and the reg. key
  • If you edited the file, the next time you run the software, it will not ask your for anything. It will recognize the license and everything will work as normal
Edited by Affinish

34 minutes ago, Magicsophicorn said:

That folder doesn't seem to exist. Attached is a screenshot of the folder.

You're looking in C:\Program Files.

In their latest messages, DWright and Affinish directed you to C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Designer\1.0\

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It is likely that your ProgramData folder is still "marked" as a hidden resource within Windows Explorer's properties. Click to see hidden folders and file types and you should then be able to see it within the Windows Explorer window for your PC. 

You could also access the folder/file via a command prompt. 

• 10 months later...
26 minutes ago, mak1631 said:

wont let me alter details or delete help please

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

More details on what you're trying to do (and why, please) what OS you're on, and exactly what happens when you try.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

More details on what you're trying to do (and why, please) what OS you're on, and exactly what happens when you try.

trying to remove an old key which was put on the machine by previous owner when i bought it i then found out it was ilegal copy so bought the legit version and when i load it it keeps using the old key wont allow me to delete old key or alter the details im running windows 10 on a surface pro

8 minutes ago, mak1631 said:

wont allow me to delete old key or alter the details

You haven’t told us, as Walt requested, exactly what happens when you try. Did you find the licence XML file in your ProgramData folder? And if so, did you get an error sound or message when you tried to delete it? If an error message, what was the exact wording?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@mak1631

Your images show you have somehow opened your Program Data folder in a web browser, rather than in a Windows Explorer window.

Assuming you are running Win 10, if you're not sure how to access Windows Explorer, go to the search box (most commonly a magnifying glass icon, bottom left hand corner of your desktop), click on the icon and in the search box type This PC.  Click on the entry that says "This PC App".  That will open the Windows Explorer display of all your hard drives.  Double-click on the C:\ drive to open a window showing its contents and go to Program Data and then to the exact location you were previously shown for your licence file.  Now, the right-click option to delete should be available.

If you do not see the Program Data folder, check the View tab (at the top of that Explorer screen and make sure that "Hidden Items" (towards the right hand end of the ribbon at the top) is ticked.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

4 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Assuming you are running Win 10, ...

If it isn’t Windows 10 it’s a very convincing impersonation of it!

5 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

... if you're not sure how to access Windows Explorer, go to the search box (most commonly a magnifying glass icon, bottom left hand corner of your desktop), click on the icon and in the search box type This PC.  Click on the entry that says "This PC App".  That will open the Windows Explorer display of all your hard drives.

You can open a File Explorer window with the keyboard shortcut WinKey+E; i.e. press and hold down the key with the Windows logo (to the left of the space bar) and press and release the E key, and then release the Windows key.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)