You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dear fellows,
I'm an illustrator user for more than 20 years.
I now try to figure out how to draw in Affinity designer as precicely as I’m used to … honestly, it feels like the early days of Illustrator, (waiting decades for features, always looking for workarounds for the easiest tasks).

This time I built some free forms i.e. with the boolean functions. I then try to align a new forms center magnetically to a point which lies NOT on the outer side of the existing form … I can‘t!?!

Does anyone know how to do this (without a helping 3rd form like a rectangle or any other anoying workaround).

See image.

Kindest regards, freddy

object-alignement.jpg

Edited by fredolone

If you use the point transform tool you can get it to do this. Oddly, that tool is not present on the toolbar by default, so add it in (View > Customise Tools...). It looks like a center point with a diagonal dotted line leading out to a red cornerpiece. When you use that tool there are a lot more neat things that happen! It's useful for aligning things to other objects (angles etc).

I'm not entirely sure why they haven't put this tool on the tool panel by default. It's a great tool and actually allows some quite complex stuff that other software doesn't do, so why they've left it hidden away is a mystery!

Also, note that you can move the centre point around and then pivot/scale/transform the rest of the shape around the pivot, but with the added bonus of the point you drag snapping to other objects. So, for example, if you have a rectangle that you want to fit into the inside curve of a circle , you can drag the centre point to one of the nodes, then drag the shape up to the curve until it snaps, then select another node and drag it around the centre point (hold CTRL for no scaling), and then when that node is brought over the curve it'll snap too. Now you now that both points are snapped exactly on the curve. If you want to fit a shape into a specific gap you can just let it scale by not holding CTRL.

There are also very powerful snapping options available on the context toolbar of the node tool.

For example: Snap all selected nodes when dragging, which can be combined with any of the global snapping options, such as Snap to Bounding Box > Mid Points.

Just make sure you select all the nodes first if you want the whole shape to move (Ctrl + A or drag a marquee).

946129548_AffinitySnapAllNodes.gif.e620bd5ae111ab2c9778d03c7584a99e.gif

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro