You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Copper and Welcome to the Forums.

First thing to try for any install issue, restart the PC and once restarted go to our setup file in your downloads folder and right click this and select Run As Administrator.

If the install is still failing then can you check this location for me:

%temp%/AffinitySetup

To get to that location, call up the Run box by holding down the Windows key and tapping the letter R.  Copy and paste the above path into the run box and click okay.  That should open a folder, which should contain at least 1 other folder.  If there are more than one, find the latest one and open the folder, you should see 2 log files, setup.log.  If you can attach those here, i'll be able to help further :) 

My Photo 1.8.2 setup has also failed. I've tried everything suggested on this forum with same failed result. So, force uninstalled v. 1.7.3 and scrubbed the registry for any entry with word "affinity." Deleted several hundred of them. 1.8.2 still will not install. I'm wondering if Serif offers a tool to find and delete absolutely any reference to previously installed versions so that you can start fresh. I am really stuck (and not happy.)

Bruce R

@Yezzzzzz

I assume this is on Windows and you originally bought the apps direct from Serif store?  If you did, try the following steps.  If not, then I suspect these procedures will NOT work because store apps are sandboxed.

First, the size of all your 1.8.2. installation files matches exactly what File Explorer shows on my machine, where all three are installed and running, so there is nothing wrong with the installers you have, at least in terms of size!  😀

Second, have you tried the various steps outlined in @stokerg's post, two above yours?

Third, have you rebooted your computer before attempting to re-run the installers?

Fourth, as a final straw, you might wish to download and run this Microsoft tool, follow its instructions carefully to remove all traces of one app at a time and then attempt a reinstall.  I think you will need to ensure you have your serial keys available because I think this process will remove your licence files, along with any customisations, brushes etc. which you've added to the original installation.  If you search on the forum there is a video showing how to back up such "changes" so that you can restore them once the app is properly reinstalled.

HTH

Jeff

Edited, to add: you might also like to take a look at this FAQ

Edited by emmrecs01
To add info

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

9 hours ago, BruceLR said:

I'm wondering if Serif offers a tool to find and delete absolutely any reference to previously installed versions so that you can start fresh. I am really stuck (and not happy.)

Microsoft supplies a tool to help with that. It's referenced in this FAQ as as the Microsoft Uninstall Troubleshooter: https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed

If that doesn't help, when your Setup fails, what is shown as the error in the SetupUI.log file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Yezzzzzz

I assume this is on Windows and you originally bought the apps direct from Serif store?  If you did, try the following steps.  If not, then I suspect these procedures will NOT work because store apps are sandboxed.

First, the size of all your 1.8.2. installation files matches exactly what File Explorer shows on my machine, where all three are installed and running, so there is nothing wrong with the installers you have, at least in terms of size!  😀

Second, have you tried the various steps outlined in @stokerg's post, two above yours?

Third, have you rebooted your computer before attempting to re-run the installers?

Fourth, as a final straw, you might wish to download and run this Microsoft tool, follow its instructions carefully to remove all traces of one app at a time and then attempt a reinstall.  I think you will need to ensure you have your serial keys available because I think this process will remove your licence files, along with any customisations, brushes etc. which you've added to the original installation.  If you search on the forum there is a video showing how to back up such "changes" so that you can restore them once the app is properly reinstalled.

HTH

Jeff

Edited, to add: you might also like to take a look at this FAQ

@emmrecs01

Thanks for your reply. I bought the apps direct from Serif store. I Uploaded Files SetupUI.log , you can check it.

SetupUI.log

@Yezzzzzz

The error log shows the following as the problem: +Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used

I remember this error appearing for another user and the advice, because a core installation file is somehow corrupted, is to redownload the installer and attempt to run this new one again.

However, since this is NOT the first time that a user has reported this issue perhaps Serif staff @Mark Ingram @stokerg et al ought to be made aware of it?

HTH

Jeff

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

48 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Often if the downloaded file is terminated before it's fully downloaded you'll get this error. I agree, it's not great to just receive "Setup Failed" from the user's perspective. We'll look to see if there is anything we can improve.

Detecting a corrupted download and issuing a more specific message would help.

I've often thought it would be good if the installer could display the error message that describes the problem, rather than the user having to find the log file and locate it themself.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

10 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Yezzzzzz

The error log shows the following as the problem: +Error: The cabinet file 'Main.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used

I remember this error appearing for another user and the advice, because a core installation file is somehow corrupted, is to redownload the installer and attempt to run this new one again.

However, since this is NOT the first time that a user has reported this issue perhaps Serif staff @Mark Ingram @stokerg et al ought to be made aware of it?

HTH

Jeff

I've tried re-download,it still error .Could you check the download link everything is ok ?

@Yezzzzzz

I am another user, not a member of Serif staff so I cannot check the download link, sorry!  

However, @Mark Ingram I think this is one for you!  BTW, many thanks for joining this thread earlier. 😀

Jeff

11 hours ago, Yezzzzzz said:

I've tried re-download,it still error .Could you check the download link everything is ok ?

What is the error in the new SetupUI.log file?

-- Walt
PC:

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Detecting a corrupted download and issuing a more specific message would help.

I've often thought it would be good if the installer could display the error message that describes the problem, rather than the user having to find the log file and locate it themself.

The trouble we have is that the error message that is returned to us is in English only, so we've purposely not shown it (and only written it to the log file) so it isn't jarring for customers who don't use English. However we're going to revisit this in future installers.

I purchased Affinity Publisher and have just tried to download and install it and got 'setup failed' like the others here. I had a trial version back from December which expired, but can't seem to uninstall it. I'm not technical, so this is a nightmare for me. Wishing I hadn't bothered. :(

16 minutes ago, Katie Bowes said:

I purchased Affinity Publisher and have just tried to download and install it and got 'setup failed' like the others here. I had a trial version back from December which expired, but can't seem to uninstall it. I'm not technical, so this is a nightmare for me. Wishing I hadn't bothered. :(

Welcome the the Serif Affinity forums, @Katie Bowes.

Please try the suggestions in the FAQ entry at https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed and let us know if they help.

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, Katie Bowes said:

Thank you Walt. The first option worked. 

You're welcome. Thanks for letting us know.

-- Walt
PC:

@walt.farrell

emmm, i have no idea what is describe in the *.Log file .i'm not sure what going on,  maybe installer was not fully downloaded🤷‍♂️, but I've tried re-download~

i still waitting who can talk about the download things~i think the download links are directing the wrong files, maybe🤦‍♂️

8 hours ago, Yezzzzzz said:

@walt.farrell

emmm, i have no idea what is describe in the *.Log file .i'm not sure what going on,  maybe installer was not fully downloaded🤷‍♂️, but I've tried re-download~

i still waitting who can talk about the download things~i think the download links are directing the wrong files, maybe🤦‍♂️

I doubt the download links are wrong; they are working for many users.

You provided the SetupUI.log file before. You can look into the new one to see if the error is the same, or you can upload it here again for us to examine. The FAQ on Windows setup issues provides instructions for locating it.

-- Walt
PC:

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 5:23 PM, stokerg said:

Hi Copper and Welcome to the Forums.

First thing to try for any install issue, restart the PC and once restarted go to our setup file in your downloads folder and right click this and select Run As Administrator.

If the install is still failing then can you check this location for me:

%temp%/AffinitySetup

To get to that location, call up the Run box by holding down the Windows key and tapping the letter R.  Copy and paste the above path into the run box and click okay.  That should open a folder, which should contain at least 1 other folder.  If there are more than one, find the latest one and open the folder, you should see 2 log files, setup.log.  If you can attach those here, i'll be able to help further :) 

My log files are attached, please have a look at them and advise. Thanks.

SetupUI.log Setup.log

3 minutes ago, q_hung said:

My log files are attached, please have a look at them and advise. Thanks.

The log seems to indicate that a part of your downloaded file has been corrupted. (Find the word "error" (without the quotes) in SetupUI.log to see the error message.) Perhaps the download was not complete, or some of the data was corrupted during download?

I would try downloading again, and if the same error occurs then perhaps try downloading with a different browser.

-- Walt
PC:

34 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The log seems to indicate that a part of your downloaded file has been corrupted. (Find the word "error" (without the quotes) in SetupUI.log to see the error message.) Perhaps the download was not complete, or some of the data was corrupted during download?

I would try downloading again, and if the same error occurs then perhaps try downloading with a different browser.

Sir,

I re-downloaded the file and installed it successfully. Thanks a lot for your quick support. 👍

You're welcome; glad it worked :)

-- Walt
PC: