You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating Photo and Designer files in Publisher

As my Photo & Designer files sizes are too big, they are linked instead of embedded into my Publisher files. I thought the possibility of editing the files in Publisher was a great and simple way to work, but obviously, I need some support. Here is an example: Suppose I place a Photo file in my Publisher document, then want add to the image a vector circle for example. The usual way to do this is to add it in Photo, then go to Publisher and update the linked Photo file in the Resources Manager, but there's another way, which looks a lot better at first: Double-click the Photo file in Publisher to open it individually in a new window, then click the Photo button to edit it in Photo, add the circle, then close the window. The image is immediately updated in Publisher, and really, that's a great way to work! But there's still something I don't understand: If I proceed this way, even if the Photo file is just linked, the circle I added in the Photo file in Publisher is not in the original Photo file (It's so twisted I even have trouble reading what I just wrote). So let's say I made some corrections to my Photo files directly in Publisher, then have to update all these Photo files in Photo before finishing the book. I then go to the Resources Manager in Publisher, update all the Photo files, and just like that, all the corrections I had made directly to the Photo files in Publisher are gone. Is there some option to check in Publisher so that the updating of the linked files go both ways?

What kind of file did you place? As soon as I edit an image on the new tab it gets marked as modified. Closing the tab you gonna be asked to save the file. Doing so the file is updated in APu and the image itself is updated. Attached some images about changing images inside APu.updateimage.jpg.bc942561f94e3638661af40f3e8f0ab4.jpg

updatedfile.jpg

updatepreferences.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Yes, either I never checked this option, or I checked it a year ago and it was reset with all my other preferences after a forced restart. So, I checked it, quit and relaunched Publisher (just to be sure), checked if the option was still checked, then edited a Photo file in Publisher. When I closed the Photo window in Publisher, there was no message asking me to save the file, and when I opened the original file in the Photo App, it was still unchanged.

But I think I found out what is happening: The Photo is marked "Embedded" instead of "Linked" in the Tab's title when I open it in Publisher's Photo Tab, and it's marked as Linked when I check its entry in the Resources Manager dialogue.  Currently, when I click its entry in the Resources Manager, it is listed as Linked, and I even have a button to embed it. I do have an integrated image, but when I click its entry this button changes to "Link". Not sure what is happening, here, but this might be a bug. Is there another way to ensure that the linked files stay linked ?

There is currently a bug where a Linked document file is treated as Embedded if you edit it in Publisher by double-clicking in the Layers panel.

To avoid the bug, use the Edit Document button in the Move Tool's Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh, OK. That's exactly what I did, because it was more intuitive to me. Double-clicking once fits the image to the screen, and double-clicking twice opens it individually. Does it happen too if I double-clic the image itself instead of its layer?

9 minutes ago, Glyphs said:

Does it happen too if I double-clic the image itself instead of its layer?

I'm not sure. Perhaps you can try it and let us know?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure. Perhaps you can try it and let us know?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to correct my book file a second time because of a bug I didn't know about… I tried double-clicking the image instead of its layer, and it's working fine both ways. As long as I remember not to double click the layers to edit it, everything should be fine.