You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop propotion ... no please!

SInce I love to rage about basic bugs that remain in the SW for ages ... please tell me I'm the idiot!

I'm cropping a (large) picture with a preset of 1440x600px (of course this just keeps the proportion) - Basic functionality
 I'm exporting the same picture in JPG reducing  the horizontal dimension to 1440px in the export dialog.... 
and the automatic vertical dimension in the export dialog ist 560px... plus minus ... REALLY??? And you spend ressources on Publisher for IPad??????

and I try to keep calm... very calm ... really I try! Upset seems to be a moderate word. Switching back to PS 6.0 for this project! 
Each time I switch back to Affinity Photo to give it another chance ... it takes 30 minutes to come across such an basic .. arrggg

Frustrated, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I dont see that, Timo. I didn't use your proportions, but the results of cropping to a particular ratio/dimension or of simply exporting to the same horizontal dimension is the same.

Can you provide a sample file where that happens to you?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Changing the size to 1440 in the Export dialog gives me an automated with of 960, same as Photoshop.

A sample document and the exact steps you're making will help us Timo. If there's something wrong that needs fixing, we need all the info we can get to make sure it is reported to the developers correctly. 

perhaps I am the idiot here.. since I do not understand the question at all.

1. Timo opens an image
2. he crops this image to x by y
3. he exports this image.

why does he reduce the width to x pixels during export?
the image already is x pixels wide = no need to change anything...

hmm.. 
I know this is not helpful for Timo, but interesting for me, not understanding the issue...

kind regards
Fritz

On 3/20/2020 at 9:32 PM, Chris B said:

Changing the size to 1440 in the Export dialog gives me an automated with of 960, same as Photoshop

Chris B

If you have an image that has a ratio of 1440:600, or you crop an image to that ratio, then when you set the long side to 1440px in the export dialog, the short side will automatically change to 600.  How do you wind up with 960 ???

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I think I was opening up a specific image on both apps and not paying attention. 

I do know I was not opening a 1440 x 600 image though because Timo said he was using that as a crop preset and I assumed his image was bigger than that (otherwise why would he be cropping?).

On 3/20/2020 at 4:07 AM, DarkClown said:

I'm cropping a (large) picture with a preset of 1440x600px (of course this just keeps the proportion) - Basic functionality
 I'm exporting the same picture in JPG reducing  the horizontal dimension to 1440px in the export dialog.... 
and the automatic vertical dimension in the export dialog ist 560px... plus minus ... REALLY??? And you spend ressources on Publisher for IPad??????

I am not experiencing that. What I did experience was that I forgot to select custom ratio:

image.png.97bf378774fbf9561fd40e710f73b789.png

If you don't it is possible to adjust the 1440 x 600 selection freely... without noticing it, but believing it is kept proportional by Photo. And then discovering a different in the export dialog.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.