You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

unfortunately I have had a problem since the last update to the new version.
Please don't laugh - but I can't find a setting like to make the grid view evenly.

Can you maybe help me there?
Thank you

Patrick

Image.png

As far as I am aware, Grids start from 0,0 (Top left of document) There is no way to specify centre, the only way would be to take the document dimensions and divide equally, so if a document was 100mm you would specify a grid of say 10mm, sub divides would follow accordingly.

The other option would be to increase the document size to fit the grid.

Yet another way would be to use the grid to make a physical grid with curves and power duplicate and position it centrally.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Try this:

1. Note the width of your document, for example 1024 px.
  2. In the Grid & Axis Manager, click once in the Spacing field to select all of its text.
  3. Type the numeric width of your document, followed by "/" (the forward slash divide operator), followed by the number of major grid divisions you want to divide the document width into. So for example so that the field contains "1024/12 px" (without the quotes) for 12 major divisions.
  4. Press tab or return to set the field to that value. The document should now have evenly divided major grid lines along its width.
  5. If the document is not square, you can do the same thing in the "Advanced" mode by unticking "Uniform" in the Grid type section & using the document height instead of its width in step 3.

At least on my Mac with AD 1.8.2, this usually works, but it can be a bit finicky if in step 2 all of the text is not selected, so make sure you do that.

As an aside, if you enable "Show axis editing handles" & the appropriate snapping options are enabled (like snapping to spread midpoints) it is possible to drag & snap the grid origin to the document midpoints.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it would be nice if the Spacing field accepted expression variables like "w" but that does not seem to work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, catlover said:

Try View > Grid & Axis Manager > Select Show Show Axis editing handles.

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department? 🤪

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi there,

thanks for your answears.

But after trying that - it do not work :(

The shit is, that the right side of the grid is not arrenged evenly...

Are there othere Options? I have Deinstalled it and new installed the Software. But the System was save the settings in deeper folder...

Thank you so much, by the way.

Best regards.

37 minutes ago, Evernote said:

But after trying that - it do not work :(

What specifically did you try?

Affinity Photo 

37 minutes ago, Evernote said:

that the right side of the grid is not arrenged evenly...

It comes down to having a measurement for the grid which will divide into the size of the page/image/document.

12 cm width means you can have 1, 2, 3 (or 6) cm grid divisions. 12.5 cm width means 2.5 cm grid divisions.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Evernote said:

Can you please see the Screenshots and tell me where i must do selection

Is it not clear from my previous post where to do that?

Affinity Photo 

38 minutes ago, Evernote said:

No sorry :/ i cant do that with translation - but its for me not clear enough...

The important thing to concentrate on is that the width divided by the number of major divisions must be an integer number (a number with no decimal fractions) if you want the grid to be divided evenly across the width of the document.

Affinity Photo