You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FontExplorer X Pro / Postscript Type 1 font support

If anyone else is having this problem, hopefully this will save you some exasperation (while not exactly solving it):

I've noticed that when I activate Postscript Type 1 fonts in FontExplorer X Pro, they appear in Affinity Publisher, but not in Affinity Designer. OpenType and TrueType fonts seem to work fine in both apps. I'm glad Publisher supports the older fonts. And in a pinch, you can drop into the Designer persona in Publisher, and the fonts will still be available, oddly enough. 

Mid-2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @Lagarto & @DWright,

Here you can find an example of font that works in Publisher but not in Designer.

I'm using FontAgent Pro 9.5 to manage font on my computer (Mac OS X Catalina).

The only solution I found, as @Lagarto, is to close my works in designer, and re-open it with Publisher.
Then drop in Designer Personna from there.

This maybe THE solution, but I find it weird anyway :-)

industria.zip

@MEB FICHTRE ! hahaha

That's great for you. OK then... 

Any idea if it is possible that it comes from my Font manager ? Or Mojave/Catalina ?

But you must know that actually I have tried to manage THAT font with Mac OS X core font manager OR FontAgent Pro, and could not have any result.

• Staff

I'm using FontExplorer X Pro but i not sure that's the cause/make any difference. Let me check a few things.

[EDIT] Working on macOS Catalina installed though Font Book. Not sure where are you having issues. Out of curiosity, It was you who zipped the file attached to your post or got it somewhere already zipped? 

41 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I have macOS Mojave. Have you experienced these kinds of problems when using this font, or any of your PostScript fonts on macOS (Catalina or earlier) when using Affinity Publisher?

Hi @Lagarto,

Hey ! Thanks for your time spent here :) Actually I have sometime that exactly same kind of issue. I then have to quit and restart my computer. Usually, I can then export my PDF.

I think I can deduce that it comes from the font... (I thought first it was coming from Acrobat reader, or the Affinity PDF engin, or something like that...)

• Staff

Hi BigStef,
No, no issues unzipping them here. Some unzipping apps do unzip them incorrectly/corrupted and i though you may had trouble with them but since it was you who zipped them that's not the issue. The files are also exporting fine to PDF for me (and getting embedded) - industria2.pdf

Make sure your Type 1 fonts are located inside the user account somewhere. From the FontExplorerX FAQ:

"Due to software security measures in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), PostScript fonts now need to be located somewhere in the users directory of the logged in Mac account in order for some applications to access them. In some cases the PostScript fonts may appear in the font menu but the document text does not appear properly. To resolve these problems you will need to move the PostScript fonts to a folder under /Users/[username]/any folder. The fonts should NOT be placed in /Users/[username]/Library/Fonts/ as this will activate all of these fonts for the System."

However: Note that Apple's documentation describes Type 1 fonts as 'legacy fonts which might work but aren't recommended'. 

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201749

(Very last sentence.) That was there in October 2018, at least, so likely with the introduction of Mojave. The "Resource fork" in which T1 fonts store their data, has been deprecated since Mountain Lion, if not earlier. So you're lucky they work at all, and they will certainly stop working at some point. Big Sur?

Thomas Phinney posted a blog on Typekit.com in 2005 about Adobe phasing out Type 1s, with the observation that "Adobe’s licensing terms allow users to convert their own Type 1 fonts to OpenType." That might be the best solution for problems with T1 fonts.
https://blog.typekit.com/2005/10/06/phasing_out_typ/

Hi @Lagarto and @MEB,

Just to tell you that i still follow this topic, even if I find that it becomes really very specific :)

BTW, I wanted this morning purchase FontLab, but it is specified that it does not work under Catalina (Sacrebleu. !)

As I think that the final solution would be to convert my old fonts, does anyone know another app to do that, working on Catalina ?

18 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Hmm, just checked this, and at least here they state that it runs under Catalina

My fault, i was on FontLab 5 page ! :-)

As I find this app a bit expensive, i have given a try to TranType demo (as you suggested in your update above). I could convert my Industria Font to TTF and use it then in Designer without any problem. I even test a PDF generation, and it works very well.

So the solution I will  keep is that one : As Type 1 font are becoming really obsolete, I will buy TransType just tested (under Catalina with success :-) so I can convert all my 30 years old fonts stock (one by one, as needed of course).

But thank you very much to both of you...