You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My suggestions, feature requests and bug report for AP

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing alright.

I recently finished another artwork exclusively in Affiinity Photo and during the process I found things that could be improved (from my point of view, obviously).
I haven't seen every corner of the program yet and I am eager to find everything but for now let me introduce myself so everyone can understand my points better:

I am using Photo mostly for digital painting / sketching etc. and I am not unleashing its full potential in the photo retouching segment. However, I think Photo has great potential for being on par with other software that tackle digital painting / drawing etc.

Next, my suggestions:

1. The way of Photo handling the organisation of clipping layers and masks is super uncomfortable and also quite illogical for me and here's why:
    • When I am thinking of clipping layers I am thinking that I clip the layer to the underlying one so I can not draw on parts that have no information in the base layer. Photo makes the base layer the top and sorts the clipping layers underneath it. That is quite confusing because in programs that work with layers you always think, work and read your file from bottom to the top layer.
      • An example: I want to shade a shape I have drawn. My workflow would be something like this: Paint the base shape on a layer. Create a new layer on top of the base layer and clip it to the base layer. Maybe change the blend mode and draw away. I paint from bottom to top. Every wash with watercolor would be the same, but Photo does it in a counter intuitive way.
    • Same with masks. Why get masks organized below the layer they affect? OK in when the layer is collapsed they are on the same level (hierarchy) but you can open the layer and then its a level beneath it what doesn't make sense in my eyes.

My feature request list:

1. Please, please, please find a way that the user can control the brush size and opacity on the fly with the stylus (alt + right click + drag for example and a button on the stylus imitates right click).
    • This is so important for painting and drawing! I think it doesn't need further explanation.
  2. Locking the layer to transparency.
    • I know that you can lock the brush to transparency - but only the standard brush.
      • I'd like to have the options that affect the layer are set in the layer panel and not via little tick boxes in tools.
  3. The smudge tool could be improved a lot. 
    • Currently you can only set size, flow and strength but what about strength according to pen pressure? Options to let the brush that smudges scatter in x and y etc.

Finally, I also have one bug to report: I am working with a Wacom tablet (Wacom Intuos Pro) and I have experienced that Photo would "lock" the input to the stylus. That means I couldn't access buttons, menus and even the program closing x with my mouse. Only with the stylus input.

Closing, I'd really like to know what you guys think about my ideas / my point of view and I'd also like to discuss everything with you :)

Sincerely yours,
Gomorrah

5 hours ago, GomorrahDotD said:

the feature request list:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/52-feature-requests-suggestions/

Screenshot_2020-03-21-00-57-38.thumb.png.529543d54e7d11539a1282f85af52dd4.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.