You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/106907-layer-merge-selected-creates-blurry-image/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/56935-blur-image-issue-after-merging-layers/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/12715-unwanted-blurring-when-merging-pixel-layers/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/53609-merging-layers-causing-blurring/page/4/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/39014-blurry-merge-layers/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/104155-merging-a-layer-down-applies-blur-aff-photo/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/59675-merged-down-layers-are-blured/

Used this software for photo editing at first without any significant problems. Recently when I moved into more pixel transforming/merging workflow thanks to my job I'm constantly annoyed by this. Well known bug/unnatural design that people we're reporting for YEARS now still not fixed. When you merge 2 images by Layers/Merge Selected, both images get blurry and unusuable. It is really that hard to make it actually just MERGE without making both merged images look DIFFERENT than before merging? Why overcomplicate things when you can surely implement some automatization that make this basic feature function without working with transform panel all the time?

before.png.11ec9d8461d9cba0c49e198034f523b2.pngafter.png.2af2438f885b4cf9d3c9e1e0ecc195f1.png

mergeexample.afphoto

I’ve just merged visible on this file and pixel for pixel I can see no difference.

211000562_ScreenShot2020-03-20at07_21_39.thumb.png.7933bb20b38271966740b1073d0aafe5.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I think the first part of the problem may be because the original pixel layers are not on pixel boundaries and one of them (1st picture) is also not whole pixels in width or height. Merging pixel layers that aren’t totally aligned to whole pixels will cause the software to try and ‘invent’ some new pixels to cope.
However, even when moving one of the layers (2nt picture) to be pixel-aligned, then duplicating it and merging the two copies, there are still issues, see attached video (from Windows 10, latest Photo). I have no idea if this is expected behaviour but it looks a little bit strange to me. The last few seconds of the video show a small but definite change in the images before and after merging.

Thank you for responses.

@firstdefence Yes, merge visible seems to be working exactly how it should, yet when I have e.g. larger project file with 30+ layers-groups, function Merge Selected feature is essential, so I don't have to constantly hide rest of the layers when I want to merge just 2 of them.

@GarryP If feels like there is some automatization missing in this, because what is it for user if he has to do this all the time. I often import images from google, edit them and import them to my project file where I usually want to merge them with others. Is it expected to machinate with Transform Panel everytime I do this? What's also weird for me is that something like Force Pixel Alignment or Move By Whole Pixels have zero effect on this.

Edit: Few typos

Edited by Grimsy

“Force Pixel Alignment” should create new layers that are at integer pixel locations. If that’s not happening then I’d say that was a separate problem.

If your layer is not whole pixels in either width or height (or both) then there may not be a lot you can do other then modify the process before you get to putting the images into Photo.

In my opinion, “Merge Visible” and “Merge Selected” should have exactly the same result if the only layers that are visible are those that are selected. Different merge functions – those that don’t have any specific differences, other than what they work on – should not produce different results with the same inputs.

• Staff

Hi Grimsy,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is caused by images/layers not being on integer values (X,Y) coordinates or not having integer width/height. To prevent it from happening enable Force Pixel Alignment in the main toolbar to ensure when you move them they end up on integer coordinates/pixel aligned. Move By Whole Pixels should be disabled - this option keeps the decimal part / original misalignment when you move layers since it moves them full pixel values. Also note that duplicating a layer using alt overrides the snapping thus nulling the Force Pixel Alignment setting. When you want to duplicate a layer without overriding snapping use cmd (ctrl on Windows) instead.

There's however something weird with object and pixel alignment here - checking what's going on.

@MEB Hello, I enabled Force Pixel Alignment (with Move By Whole Pixel off) and tested it with more, freshly imported pictures. I realized merging pictures 1. Affinity Shape 2. Affinity Paint Brush 3. 2 random google pictures without resizing them made Merge Selected 100% accurate. However if I resize a single google picture and then Merge Selected, I get blurry image and that is my problem. My goal is to stop Affinity from completely destroying original sharpness and completely skip any Transform Panel workaround which slows my workflow.

In the video I show merging without resize and then with resize.

mergeexample2.afphoto

24 minutes ago, Grimsy said:

However if I resize a single google picture and then Merge Selected, I get blurry image and that is my problem

After resizing the picture, rasterise it, then do the Merge Selected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 It works, so software somehow bugs out rasterising when merging multiple layers like that. IMO Merge should also include rasterize for each layer so it doesn't blur like that. I guess there's no reason not to patch this. :) 

Edited by Grimsy

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I am currently working with affinity photo 1.10.5 on windows 10 and I also have this issue. The strange thing is that sometimes it works fine. I take two layers with hard pixel edges and when merging the pixels stay as they should be. But sometimes I have a layer which cannot be merged with another layer (or be rasterized) without the edges being anti aliased. I have no idea what the difference is with other layers I make that don't have this issue.  Attached the file with the problematic layer. The layer with the horse on it. Also a little video clip of rasterizing and merging the files to illustrate the problem https://streamable.com/0zdf2c

merge-problem.afphoto

Edited by markdalderup
changed video link

• Staff

Hi @markdalderup,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a know issues that can happen in some circumstances (when merging layers with differing dips, transformed layers (stretched, rotated etc), or layers located in non integer coordinates as is the case with your bottom layer. You can simply move the bottom layer until its X, Y coordinates are integer values (no fractional values) which will make it appear a bit more sharpen then merge both layers or rasterise the bottom layer (thus keeping it current visual aspect) and then merging. This issue is already logged to be looked at.