You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ai (use compression) can't open in Affinity Designer

I got a vector image from Adobe stock and when I open the ai file in Affinity Designer it's a low quality jpg.  When I open it in Illustrator it's ok.  I did notice one difference, every file that does this has been saved with the Use Compression box checked (see attached image). Anyone know how I can open this up in Affinity Designer without it being a low quality jpg?

ai saved options.png

20 hours ago, DWright said:

Hi @amtrxangel,

Welcome to the forum 

Is it possible for you to send me the original .ai file for me to test

Thanks!  I hope this can be answered.

Here is it :)  When you open it in Illustrator it's all good, but when you open it in Affinity it's placed as a low rez image.  Side note, it also open's a low rez image in CorelDraw.  Corel said there is no solution at this time.  I thought of you guys right away - came highly recommended.  

AdobeStock_157380947.ai

Edited by amtrxangel

• 1 month later...

The simple solution is save it without compression. Not sure why you are using compression unless you are trying to save space? This file is small as it is without the compression. 

There definitely is an issue when opening in Designer with compression, but the easy solution is don't use it. I have never used it in all my years in design and print and it is even less need now with ways of transferring large files with ease. 

AdobeStock_157380947 [Converted] no compression.ai

8 minutes ago, wonderings said:

The simple solution is save it without compression. Not sure why you are using compression unless you are trying to save space? This file is small as it is without the compression. 

There definitely is an issue when opening in Designer with compression, but the easy solution is don't use it. I have never used it in all my years in design and print and it is even less need now with ways of transferring large files with ease. 

AdobeStock_157380947 [Converted] no compression.ai 434.72 kB · 0 downloads

If only it were that simple.  When I download vector files from Adobe Stock, they are saved like that. I need to open them in Illustrator to remove the compression.  So if I don't pay for Illustrator, I cannot open the file.  Also if you read my question, I never said I save it that way.  I also clearly said I got the image from Adobe Stock that way.

3 minutes ago, amtrxangel said:

If only it were that simple.  When I download vector files from Adobe Stock, they are saved like that. I need to open them in Illustrator to remove the compression.  So if I don't pay for Illustrator, I cannot open the file.  Also if you read my question, I never said I save it that way.  I also clearly said I got the image from Adobe Stock.

oh interesting. Been a while since I have purchased any vector stock. I am going to look at previous iStock purchases and see how those turn out. 

It might be you need to look at another source for vector images, iStock was my preferred site for stock photos, vectors and videos. I will see if those come compressed. 

4 minutes ago, wonderings said:

oh interesting. Been a while since I have purchased any vector stock. I am going to look at previous iStock purchases and see how those turn out. 

It might be you need to look at another source for vector images, iStock was my preferred site for stock photos, vectors and videos. I will see if those come compressed. 

Please stop sending me solution outside of what I am asking.  I don't have a choice on where I get the stock images, my work paid for a subscription to Adobe Stock and I cannot change that.  I ask my question to see if there is a work around so that I can get Affinity at work. If I cannot solve this issue, then plain and simple - I will not get Affinity.

Also, the file I provided above was downloaded from Adobe Stock and you can use it as an example to do testing.

1 minute ago, amtrxangel said:

Please stop sending me solution outside of what I am asking.  I don't have a choice on where I get the stock images, my work paid for a subscription to Adobe Stock and I cannot change that.  I ask my question to see if there is a work around so that I can get Affinity at work. If I cannot solve this issue, then plain and simple - I will not get Affinity.

Then best not to get Affinity Designer till they fix it. The work around is re-saving without compression and that obviously does not work for you.

My deepest apologies for trying to help.