You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fill Mode Winding (Non Zero) bug (1.8.2.620)

Hi all!
Is there a way to apply winding (non-zero) as the default fill mode?

In version 1.8.0 after 'subtract', I don't need to do a 'reverse curve' when I apply winding (non-zero) mode but in version 1.8.2 I have to do it. I think this is a bug.

Edited by herlan

• Staff

Hi Herlan,
Unfortunately you've been a little bit vague as to what the actual problem you're encountering is. If you could record a video or add some steps that would help us a lot. However from what I can see this is not a bug. When using Winding it is important to know the direction of the curve as that will depend on which areas get filled and which don't. There was a fix in 1.8 that meant that Reverse Curve would only reverse a single curve instead of all the curves (as that made the option useless). Please see below for some more information on Winding mode.
https://www.sitepoint.com/understanding-svg-fill-rule-property/

Hi Sean P,

Actually I prefer to work in Winding (non-zero) mode because I need curves in the counter direction to work with Fontlab. But I did not find a way to make Winding (non-zero) mode can be used as the default fill mode.

The problem in version 1.8.2 is, after I do "subtract", then I have to change the fill mode to "winding" and again I have to change the direction of one of them. That's too troublesome.

In version 1.8.0 after changing the fill mode to "winding" I no longer need to change the direction.

Edited by herlan

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:27 AM, Sean P said:

Ahh ok - now I see what you mean. We do actually have it logged with development that Winding should be retained after a Boolean operation. I'll get your comments passed on. Thank you. :) 

Hi Sean P,
I'm having the same issue at the Designer on IPad, where I want to keep the Fill Mode -> Winding as my default option:
when I insert new curves that intersects it always get with the Alternate mode automatically.
In this case, should I report at the Ipad Bug Section? or this issue will be to solved to all platforms?

thanks! see you

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

• Staff
14 hours ago, Jhonatan S Silva said:

Hi Sean P,
I'm having the same issue at the Designer on IPad, where I want to keep the Fill Mode -> Winding as my default option:
when I insert new curves that intersects it always get with the Alternate mode automatically.
In this case, should I report at the Ipad Bug Section? or this issue will be to solved to all platforms?

thanks! see you

The current behaviour is not a bug, however I would suggest creating a post in Feature Requests to include the ability to set the default fill mode for newly created objects.

• Staff
16 minutes ago, herlan said:

But this is weird. After subtract, rectangle and rectangle will have the same direction. Likewise with circles. While rectangle and circle, the direction will be opposite.

04xAOjHyJ4.gif

That seems to be because the default path direction for a Rectangle is Clockwise, where as the default path direction for the Ellipse is Anti-Clockwise, which is causing the (intended) behaviour you are seeing with the fill modes.