You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A short while ago during the beta version phase I posted a problem (again! as I've raised this before in the past) which AP has had since it's inception. You cannot get access to gradients in your colours palette within FX or anywhere else for that matter. I do wish Affinity would resolve this issue. It's frustrating having gradient lists and not being able to use them universally. Anyone on the dev team got any answers here please. I did hope this issue may have been resolved before releasing 1.8.2 but it's still there.

I like by the way the Affinity range is developing although, most improvements have been fixes and not development of further features.  Still, best get underlying operational issues out of the way first hey!. Looking forward to possible implementation of some missing features in the next 12 months or before that some of us have been highlighting such as being able to create true duotones/tritones, colour matching etc (although can do manually but time consuming) plus shape builder/pattern creation handling or something similar for AD. Implementation of PSD smart objects in AP a great move forward.

I have only just noticed that there is no gradient panel in Photo!

Is there no way to implement a gradient?

High-End Photographic Prints

Thanks, never noticed that!  Pity you cant detach the panel :(

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

Thanks, never noticed that!  Pity you cant detach the panel :(

When using the fill tool (called the gradient tool when in Photo) you can drag the gradient across an object to add one; when you click on one of the end points you can then use the color panel to set the color of that point, as well as making other manipulations directly over the artwork.

In the swatches palette. I click on the "Gradients" category and 4 default gradients appear. Is it possible to create my own gradients, and then have them appear in that category?

If possible, could someone please describe the steps needed?

Thank you all in advance.

Once you have created your gradient, select "Gradients" in the "Swatches" tab, click on the button to the right of the title and click on "Add current fill to palette".
The gradient is added to the others and can then be used on other objects.

Gradients.gif

That's what I have been trying, but it doesn't add the current gradient, it adds a previous gradient :(

Must be a bug in the ;latest version?

hi all

I think you all have not understood my post. I was referring to the fact that I have a number of custom gradient palettes in AP which I can access from the main swatches tab but I couldn't access them from anywhere else. The new AP beta has now actually added the ability to access my custom gradient palettes from the gradient tool swatch tab so this is new!! Still can't access them from the FX panel though.

Hope this makes thinks clearer and perhaps it won't be long before they add the ability to access from within the FX gradient panel.

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

Still can't access them from the FX panel though.

From what I can tell this isn't a question of palettes; it seems the FX don't support gradients at all - only solid colors.

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

That's what I have been trying, but it doesn't add the current gradient, it adds a previous gradient

For me if I do this while the fill (gradient) tool is active it adds the color of the selected stop on the gradient instead of the gradient itself.  If I switch to a different tool it adds the gradient from the selected object.

Yes I know this fde101 that’s what I’m saying, all gradients in your main swatch tab should also be available in FX. Why do you say FX doesn’t support gradients? It says quite clearly “gradient overlay” so again, all gradients in your main swatches tab should also be available in the FX tab otherwise why have a tab name “gradient overlay. If I go to FX and want to apply a gradient, I don’t want to have to make up gradients from scratch when I already have a large number of ready made gradients. I’m sure access will come soon.

On 3/27/2020 at 2:36 PM, Raymondo said:

gradient overlay

Thanks, yes, that would be an exception.  Wasn't really thinking of that one.

It would be nice to be able to select one for that effect.

The other effects don't currently seem to allow for gradients at all.  Adding that to some of them would also be a nice enhancement.

• 2 years later...

Just noticed this, it's such an oversight. You have to create gradients in twofold, the first for the actual gradients and another time for the effects. It's really cumbersome...

Please address this in an upcoming release, I think this is one of the most frustrating aspects of the software I encountered thusfar!