You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie question. I want to import a 50,000-word PDF into Affinity Publisher. I want to import the text into "streaming frames" (I hope this is the correct terminology). When I import my PDF, however, there are line breaks at the end of each line of text. See attached image.

I want to import the PDF as natural, "free flowing" text, so that I don't have to edit / delete each and every line break. Is this possible with PDF? If yes, how please? If no, should I import from DOCX or other format? Thx.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 09.54.21.png

2 things here

1) I assume you mean to open the PDF rather than import it. That way you will be notified of any missing fonts and be able to make substitutons.

2) to get the text into frames rather than separate lines you need to click the box "Group lines of text...." when you open the PDF file. I have found this works pretty well . You might get slight variations from the original text and text frames won't be linked but it will be much easier to work with.

image.png.d35f6d9793a98b027b52e2c97e3bb07a.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

OK. Thanks. I was hoping it would be a bit more automatic, but I can adjust. And to Mick's earlier post, I also do not end up with "streaming frames". Instead, I end up with lots of disconnected text frames - several per printed page. I guess I'll have to manually link them.

If you have a Word file, try re-saving it as an  RTF instead and use that to fill your Publisher document. Docx inserts a lot of formatting. I never use it (sorry Microsoft!) because it is nightmare when combining multiple documents from different sources. I actually use plain txt files a lot since I need to impose uniform formatting throughout my newly created publication with text coming from multiple authors using different software and formatting.

SnowQueen: Thank you. I will try RTF. My source text is in Scrivener, so I can export to many different formats.

Mick Rose: Good idea on a PDF test page. One is attached to this post. Note that I intentionally garbled the text.

Mick Rose: You used the word "import" in your first response. When people use the word "import" with Affinity Publisher, do they really mean File > Place? I do not see an Import option in Publisher (other than Text > Text Styles > Import Styles).

Thanks.

Test Page.pdf

Hi pomme27 - sorry about confusion. Yes, Import and Place are the same thing. As you correctly say, Publisher cannot Import a file - it can only Place one. As regards your file, it Opens okay for me as a single text frame (apart from the page number at the bottom). Screenshot is attached. If you Place a PDF page and then double click it to edit it, then the frame IS broken up into individual lines. And if you Open a PDF without clicking "Group lines of text" you also get separate frames.  But that isn't what you are doing so I don't understand this. Do you have this problem with other PDFs or just this one? As a temporary workaround you might want to ask one of the Moderators to convert the file for you.

image.png.4248274a7914b26f4cf57f2993b1ae9a.png

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM