You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD crashes when i try to edit a pixel brush

ESPR

Whenever i try to edit a pixelbrush via the right click menu in the Pixel Persona, the blue windows wheel of death appears and AD is no longer responsive.

After that i have to terminate the program with the task manager.

Seems to happen with all the brushes i tried, one example: Frankentoon's Crayon Box.

Im using AD Version 1.8.2.620

• Staff

Hi ESPR,

I've tried to reproduce this but have been unable to. Does it also occur when you edit any of the brushes in the Basic category? Could you record a video showing you reproducing the issue that show the steps you are taking please?

Thanks!

The same happened today with a vector brush.

Frankentoon has given away a free brush set (called 'Placard' 19,5MB in size) to celebrate his new website and im unable to install it, cause AD crashes every time.

Physical Memory goes through the roof and cripples the whole computer.

On 3/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, Sean P said:

Hi ESPR,

I've tried to reproduce this but have been unable to. Does it also occur when you edit any of the brushes in the Basic category? Could you record a video showing you reproducing the issue that show the steps you are taking please?

Thanks!

Yes, it also happens with a brush from the Basic category.

I dont know about a videorecording, there isnt anything happening to show.

I rightclick, select EDIT, then nothing happens and the menu remains visible. I click again and AD freezes.

• Staff
5 hours ago, ESPR said:

The same happened today with a vector brush.

Frankentoon has given away a free brush set (called 'Placard' 19,5MB in size) to celebrate his new website and im unable to install it, cause AD crashes every time.

Physical Memory goes through the roof and cripples the whole computer.

It sounds as though it could be related to the contents of your AppData - would you be able to go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 and zip up the whole contents of that folder and upload it to our internal Dropbox using the link below please? Also what are the specs of your machine?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/b0zS9JTiC5a11J5Q7WaU

Thanks,

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

It sounds as though it could be related to the contents of your AppData - would you be able to go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 and zip up the whole contents of that folder and upload it to our internal Dropbox using the link below please? Also what are the specs of your machine?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/b0zS9JTiC5a11J5Q7WaU

Thanks,

That folder is 3GB in size (unzipped) but my upload-speed is pretty slow...do you need all of that ?

I noticed there is a file in 'user' called 'raster_brushes.propcol' which is 771MB but also a file called 'raster_brushes.propcol_backup1' which is 1,51GB.

Is that normal ?

Same backup file for the vectorbrushes.

The specs of my machine are:

win7, 64bit

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel G41 Express Chipset, with AVG AntiVirus

I dont know if this is related, but i had the same problem with the Frankentoon Asset that came as a freebie with the Isometric tutorial from your Spotlight site.

I was unable to install that asset until the most recent AD update. And even then it took a few minutes, with that blue wheel circling dangerously.

Its the reverse now with brushes. I never had a problem with installing oder editing brushes, but since the latest update, it crashes the program.

• Staff

The raster_brushes.propcol is probably the most important file I require, however the backup file for that is also useful. Would you mind sending both of those please? I shouldn't need anything else.

In 1.8 we upgraded the brushes, but prior to that we created a backup file of the original should anything go wrong with the upgrade. It also helps us investigate any issues that might arise during that upgrade process also!

Thanks,

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

The raster_brushes.propcol is probably the most important file I require, however the backup file for that is also useful. Would you mind sending both of those please? I shouldn't need anything else.

Done. Uploaded both files seperately.

I installed the latest beta (1.8.3.641) this evening and in this version everything is working as expected:

i can import brushes without any problems and edit them without any freezing or crash.

EDIT: i spoke too soon.... 😠

it worked for a while... I imported a bunch of Vector and Pixelbrushes into the AD beta, with good reaction time under 5 seconds, but after a while it happened again:

AD became unresponsive. This time so hard i had to restart my computer because the crash crippled the machine.

After the restart i was able to successfully import the last few missing brushes, but after that AD became unresponsive AGAIN.

Very annoying !

It would really save a lot of time if you could just copy all your brushes into a folder, instead of having to import every single file on its own !

• Staff

Thanks for the files ESPR, I've got those imported on my Win 10 machine with 16GB Ram and unfortunately still not encountering any issues with editing or importing raster brushes. I then tried it on a virtual machine running Windows 7 with only 4GB Ram and unfortunately still not getting any hangs when trying to edit or import brushes.

It does sound like your machine is running low on memory which is why it could be crippling the machine. Have you imported many Assets into the Assets Panel of the app at all? Do you have many other applications running at the same time?

10 hours ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for the files ESPR, I've got those imported on my Win 10 machine with 16GB Ram and unfortunately still not encountering any issues with editing or importing raster brushes. I then tried it on a virtual machine running Windows 7 with only 4GB Ram and unfortunately still not getting any hangs when trying to edit or import brushes.

It does sound like your machine is running low on memory which is why it could be crippling the machine. Have you imported many Assets into the Assets Panel of the app at all? Do you have many other applications running at the same time?

I usally have chrome and foobar (music player) open...

Not sure what you mean with Assets here. Assets as in Affinity Asset Panel ? Or asset as in brushes, gradients and stuff ?

Yes, i tried to install a lot of brushes (~50), but one after the other.

The same problem occurs on Affinity Photo as well now, by the way.

However it wasnt an issue before the latest update. So something changed on your side.

• 4 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 11:08 AM, Sean P said:

I think i may have found the culprit...

Tried to create a new intensity brush today, which was really tiny (3kb), and again Affinity froze and crippled my computer to a point where it was really difficult to terminate the program with the task manager.

After that i added an exception for the Affinity programs in my antivirus program (AVG) and now it works like a charm.

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, Sean P said:

Wow! I'm really surprised about that, but I'm glad you're now back up and running! Thanks for coming back and letting us know! :)

I had another round with this phenomena.

Enrique from Frankentoon has released an updated Brushpack, so i had to install some brushes again.

Although it seemed adding an exception to my antivirusprogram fixed the issue last time, it wasnt the case yesterday.

AD timed out again, while physical memory went through the roof and i had to terminate the program several times.

This time, disabling the antivirus did the trick.

I still dont understand if this is a problem caused by the antivirus or a bug in AD.

Am i the only one having this problem ?

Is there any hope for this being fixed if i talk to the programmers of AVG ?