You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help!!! All assets in all files gone

Today suddenly all assets in different files doesn't show up anymore.

Had huge problems with the newest version of publisher and followed the advice here in the forum to downgrade to a previous version (after complete deinstall of 1.8.6) and now all assets are gone.

What's even more strange: even on my laptop, where I didn't change anything, no assets are showing up anymore, even in files, which I didn't open for days.

Where the hell are assets stored? Is there any way to recover them? On both computers, under appdata/roaming/affinity/publisher/1.0/settings is a file assets.xml, with ListMode 'False' and Category '0'.

To be honest, actually I'm quiet dissapointed about actual release of affinity publisher: bugs over bugs, crashes and now the assets gone. Hours of work. I'm working as professional and this should definitely NOT happen!!!!!
Can't even downgrade, because my file won't open, because they are created in quiet actual versions.

Hi chapalote!

That sounds strange. How does the assets panel look like now? Does it still list the categories created by you? Or is it just blank?

In case you have ever exported your assets: Does a re-import work either on your desktop or laptop?

On the Windows the assets are stored here: "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\user\assets.propcol"

What did you expect, when you uninstalled the application? If the uninstaller made the job right, all files are gone. A good advice is always to make a backup. Perhaps one day Serif will implement a function for backing up user defined settings / files or making an option to keep user data while uninstalling?

Reading all the posts about crashing and freezing, I seem to belong to the minority with (almost) no problems at all. From my point of view 1.8.2 is working stable.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

What did you expect, when you uninstalled the application? If the uninstaller made the job right, all files are gone.

Uninstalling usually does not uninstall user data, and that's what's in the Windows AppData folder. And every install of a new version of Affinity on Windows involves uninstalling the old version, and usually that does not delete the user's information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Uninstalling usually does not uninstall user data,

OK, good to know, so I wrote rubbish, sorry for that. To be honest, I was never forced to uninstall ANY of the Affinity applications.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

3 hours ago, VolkerMB said:

Hi chapalote!

That sounds strange. How does the assets panel look like now? Does it still list the categories created by you? Or is it just blank?

In case you have ever exported your assets: Does a re-import work either on your desktop or laptop?

No, no backup available. The panel is completely blank. I'm not sure, but I think to remeber, that after blank installations there were some predefined categories like text an images. But can't reproduce it anymore....

assets.propcol is available with a size of 341b. Unfortunally it's not readable by any editor, cause it's machine-code. I have a backup of this file from one week ago, and using this file at least the assets panel works and my old assets are back. But I worked a lot the last days, especially wit new assets, and they are all gone.

I ask myself, if a windows recovery point could help, but I doubt, that it would recover files in the user directory. And why I have the same issue on my laptop, which was not used the last days and switched off during data-loss on my workstation, is not understandable at all. It looks like, that one document created with publisher could cause the issue.

By the way, Joachim_L:

Just some issues I have with actual publisher release:

quiet often on opening a file, publisher crashes right away. Trying it again and agaín helps mostly

Files synchronized via my NAS to my laptop sometimes don't open anymore, publisher says, they are damaged. Happened after updating to 1.8.1. Same file size, same content, if I compare them. Opening them again, they suddenly work again.

TOC is extremley faulty: the order gets broken, when you move an element with a defined style for TOC to another place.

File links doesn't work correct

And unexpected crashes when you work every day 2 or three times. Trying again, what you did before the crash, it's not reproducable.

This Release is all, but not stable, and for production environment an imposition!!!