You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Studio Link with different install sources

I purchased Affinity Photo (a long time ago) through the Mac app store with my personal Apple ID.  

Last year, I purchased Affinity Publisher through an Apple business account (via Volume purchasing / App Deployment), and deployed the installation to my Mac. 

Both apps are running on my computer but Studio Link can't link them, I assume this is because Publisher wasn't technically purchased with my account or Apple ID. 

1. Is there any way to link them? 

2. Is there any way to find my 'license key' to authenticate the Publisher beta build?  I ran into a publisher bug recently which was fixed in Beta, so I'm using Beta for now as a workaround... but today it won't let me launch Beta without authenticating via license key.  I checked the Apple business account side, and the app deployment side, but I can't see the license key, and thus am blocked. 

Thanks. 

@michaelreilly

I think you will need a Serif staff member to comment on the problem of Studio Link not working but the question of the licence key is a little easier to answer and may well be linked to the Studio Link not functioning for you!

The installation of any Affinity app from either the Microsoft Store or, in your case, the Mac App Store is linked, without any visible/accessible licence key, to the Apple ID/Microsoft Account used when it was first purchased and installed.  It seems, from what you write, that the fact you purchased the two apps via "different IDs" is what is causing your difficulty.  This may well be a problem that only the MAS can help you to resolve.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

50 minutes ago, michaelreilly said:

Is there any way to link them? 

What release of each application do you have?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...

I use a Mac, and bought Publisher from Affinity, and Photo apparently from the AppStore since it updates from there. Both are updated to current versions 1.83.

I am just learning Publisher.

I have an expired  trial version of Designer that I do not want since it does not allow dimensioning (at least when I tried it some times ago).

All three icons show up in Publisher, but are not linked. When I click Photo, I get a dialog saying I need to update to get Studio Link, showing Photo and Designer icons.

How do I get them to link?

BTW, is there somewhere in the menus, like in InDesign, where you can click a photo in Publisher, and go to "Edit with...."or is this a function of Studio link? I use that feature all the time for fine-tuning in InDesign, and hope this has similar. Thank you!

Edited by willruggles

57 minutes ago, willruggles said:

I use a Mac, and bought Publisher from Affinity, and Photo apparently from the AppStore since it updates from there. Both are updated to current versions 1.83.

If both are truly 1.8.3 retail versions then StudioLink should work, even if Publisher and Photo were purchased from different stores.

If you've started and stopped both of them on not sure why it's not working.

1 hour ago, willruggles said:

BTW, is there somewhere in the menus, like in InDesign, where you can click a photo in Publisher, and go to "Edit with...."or is this a function of Studio link? I use that feature all the time for fine-tuning in InDesign, and hope this has similar. Thank you!

File > Edit in Photo, assuming that Publisher recognizes you own a compatible version of Photo.

However, it will send the complete Publisher document, and any edits will affect the entire page not just the photo on the page.

For the scenario you mentioned it would be better to double-click on the photo in the Layers panel, or choose Edit Image from the Context Toolbar, and then switch to the Photo Persona to do the editing.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you Walt. I had updated both apps quite recently and had not restarted for a while, so decided to restart the computer. After that the Studio Link worked, so all is well. Being able to adjust photos easily from Publisher is really the function I was after, and that you can do it right in the Publisher page is really brilliant! Also interesting, the edit the whole page option... Thanks!

Edited by willruggles

You're welcome, @willruggles.

-- Walt
PC: