You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

SETUP failed for version 1.8.2

Noticing that version 1.8.2 was now available, I attempted to install it. I only downloaded the file once, so it was not a download error.

The first time it did not give me any options for the location of the program (I use the default, C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo), presumably as it was already installed.

The setup failed. That was all it said, no prompts about restarts or administrator rights.

I made a second attempt by running it with administrator rights. This time I had the prompt for the location of the program, I left it at the default. The setup failed again.

I then restarted the computer and ran the 1.8.2 setup file with administrator rights, and the install completed successfully.

I have attached the failure files here, having renamed the files slightly to add "fail 1" ... "fail 2" ... and "ok" in the filenames. Hope this helps with debugging.

For anyone else with the same fault, this is what you do:

Run the file "affinity-photo-1.8.2.exe" to install the application. It will fail.

restart your computer

right click on the downloaded file "affinity-photo-1.8.2.exe" and select "Run as administrator"

version 1.8.2 should now be installed correctly.

Hope this helps.

SetupUI fail 1.log Setup fail 1.log SetupUI fail 2.log Setup fail 2.log SetupUI OK.log Setup OK.log

I am surprised that you have not put anything related to this problem on the update download website. Some information on running as administrator may be necessary, and a reboot should be undertaken if problems persist would help people enormously, rather than having to search the forums for known problems.

Or maybe I am the only person in the world with this problem?

3 minutes ago, knightrr said:

I am surprised that you have not put anything related to this problem on the update download website. Some information on running as administrator may be necessary, and a reboot should be undertaken if problems persist would help people enormously, rather than having to search the forums for known problems.

Or maybe I am the only person in the world with this problem?

We do have an FAQ about it, but we're going to add a direct link from the installer to this page in the future:

https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed

I have now totally lost Publisher ... had several fails for Setup for the latest version 1.8.2 ... and tried installing as Administrator, rebooting, hard reboot ... and finally uninstalling and re-installing - still fails and now no Publisher ..... I am wondering how I get out of this .....

1 hour ago, SteveL said:

I have now totally lost Publisher ... had several fails for Setup for the latest version 1.8.2 ... and tried installing as Administrator, rebooting, hard reboot ... and finally uninstalling and re-installing - still fails and now no Publisher ..... I am wondering how I get out of this .....

The FAQ referenced above should help: https://affin.co/WinSetupFailed

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

26 minutes ago, SteveL said:

Many thanks - still trying - but still failing ....

So, where have you gotten to in the process, and how is is failing?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1